Chapter 11

May 11th

I was tapping my pencil on my desk while lost deep in my thoughts. I couldn't focus on doing my work for my last class.

We were supposed to be silent reading, but I couldn't. I continued to think about how detention would go this afternoon.

I would be stuck in a room with Lia alone for an hour. I haven't done that in years.

What's even worse is that there is a lot of tension going on between us. So, who knows maybe another argument will break out or maybe this time. I will be the one she slaps.

My pencil tapping and the clock on the wall were in sync. Then the bell rang. The once silent room now sounded like an overcrowded zoo.

Kids packed their stuff and quickly ran out of the room.

Suddenly, my math teacher walked up to me.

"Lola, aren't you going to detention today?" He asked.

"Uh, yeah. But how would you even know that?" I questioned.

"Because I will be your teacher for it," He said while having a tiny grin.

"Okay, cool I guess," I said awkwardly as I tried to walk away.

"Don't be late," He said as he walked out of the classroom.

He was probably heading to the detention room to wait for us.

I was the only one in the classroom. He had turned off the lights when he left so it was pretty dark. The blinds were shut and the floor looked like a junkyard.

I grabbed my stuff and carefully walked to the first door. Trying to avoid all of the food and short stubby pencils.

I had taken my backpack with me already so no need to walk 1000 miles to my locker.

It took an eternity to finally arrive to the small classroom.

I took a short, but loud deep breath and walked inside. Only not to just see Lia, but also Aisha, Jade, and Vivien.

Their heads turned robotically towards me. Before I walked in, they were all sitting in silence.

The teacher was already in there, sitting at his desk loudly chewing a piece of gum while on his laptop. Probably grading papers.

He noticed that I walked in and stood up from his chair.

"You're late," He said in an angry tone.

"Sorry about that," I apologized.

"Just take a seat and try to sit as far away from the others as possible," demanded the teacher.

I nodded and proceeded to walk all the way to the back of the classroom. Where there was an empty seat in the corner right by the window. I quickly sat down.

"Take out some homework or something and work on it. No phones, no talking, and no eating," He said.

I took out my special person paper and began to write about Kahlil. Lia kept looking back at me almost as if she knew what I was working on.

"I'm going to do the bathroom. When I come back, you better be in your seats," said my teacher as he got out of his office chair.

"Lia stop looking at Lola and do your work!" He yelled.

He walked out of the room and kept the door wide open.

They were all staring directly at the door.

His footsteps were getting fainter and fainter by every minute, until we couldn't hear them anymore.

Unexpectedly, Aisha got out of her seat and slammed the door shut.