Chapter 5

May 8th

"What the-"

She looked over at me and frowned.

"It's not what you think," sighed Lia.

"No, it's exactly what I think," I stated.

She was holding a cigarette. Jade and Aisha were doing the same. It used to smell like cinnamon and now it smells like my mom's dirty car.

"How long have you been smoking?" I asked.

"For a few months..." sighed Lia.

I took a deep breath out of frustration. I wanted to scream at her. I already had to be around my mom who smokes, but now I have to be around my "friend" who smokes.

"So, aren't you going to tell my mom?" questioned Lia in a slow tone.

"No, I'm not," I replied.

"Thank you," responded Lia with a tiny smile.

"That's not why I'm not going to tell her," I admitted.

The smile from her face vanished and turned into confusion.

"Huh?" questioned Lia.

"I'm not telling your mom because I don't want you to get in trouble. I'm not telling her because it's your life. If you want black lungs then go ahead and have black lungs," I explained.

"I won't get black lungs," denied Lia.

I was about to say something until, Aisha said, "Just mind your business."

"It's quite hard to do that since all I can smell is smoke," I said rolling my eyes.

"Well she's 18, which means she's an adult and she can do whatever she wants," argued Aisha.

"You sound dumb," I said as I tried to hold in laughter due to how ridiculous she sounded.

"But she's right," added Jade, "she's an adult therefore she can do whatever she wants to."

"Last time I checked, the legal age for smoking is 21," I stated.

"So?" said Jade crossing her arms.

"Why do you care so much?" scoffed Aisha.

I was about to say something and then I paused. The reason why I cared so much is, I don't want her to end up like my mother. However, I've never told her about my mom really. I've only told her lies about my mother. Such as, "she's rich" or "she has perfect health."

Also, I really don't wanna have another person in my life who smokes.

"I just do," I sighed.

"Not a valid reason," laughed Jade.

Did she think that was a comeback or something?

"Can we just change the subject?" asked Lia in an annoyed tone as she lit a cigarette.

"Yeah, can we? Redhead is trying to stir up drama," scoffed Jade rolling her eyes also while discreetly giving me an evil smirk.

"I've told you in the past. I don't like it when you call me redhead," I sighed.

"It's not a big deal. I swear to God you're so sensitive," scoffed Aisha in an annoyed tone.

Lia stood up and walked towards me.

"How about you just sit down and relax," She said as she grabbed my arm and proceeded to pull me to the couch.

"Sit," said Lia.