Chapter 1(Introduction)

10 years ago...

"Open up, Daniel. We know you are inside!" yelled a person outside of our elegant glass door.

I didn't have a clue about what was going on but based on both of my parents' faces it had to be something terrible.

There were many men dressed in all black. Some were holding handcuffs and others had black guns in their hands. They have broken through our gate and have been standing outside shouting for 5 minutes.

We were all upstairs in our mansion huddled together. My mother was shaking and sobbing quietly. My father was attempting to calm her down. I tried to stay strong for my mother.

I knew if I cried, it would just make the situation worse.

On the outside, they saw a calm girl who was not frightened by the situation. However, on the inside, I was freaking out. I was frightened and afraid.

What did these people want from my father? Did he do something bad?

In a matter of seconds, we heard glass shards dropping onto our dark wooden floor. We began to hear gigantic footsteps wandering around the house.

I hoped they wouldn't find us in the closet.

Unexpectedly, my dad stood up and opened the closet door. Luckily for us, they were roaming around downstairs.

"Where are you going?" asked my mom.

"I'm leaving the closet if they find us all in here together. We would be in a lot of danger," replied my father.

"What are you suggesting?" She asked.

"We split up. You hide in one of the bedrooms and Lola stays in the closet," responded my dad.

Based on the face my mother was making, it seems as if she wasn't sure about the plan. Either way, she decided to stand up and walked to the nearest bedroom. Which was the guest bedroom.

"Daddy," I said in a soft sad tone.

"Yes?" replied my dad.

"Don't leave me alone, I'm scared," I said holding back tears.

He kneeled down next to me and gave me a kiss on the forehead.

"Pumpkin, there's nothing to be afraid of," He assured smiling.

He was always the best at helping me feel better. I always felt safe around him. 

"Remember, the story I told you?" asked my dad.

"The one about the moon guardians?" I questioned.

He nodded and continued, "When I'm not with you, the moon guardians will protect you. They will make sure you never get hurt."

He kissed me on the forehead again and then stood up.

"Stay quiet. I'll be back soon pumpkin," smiled my father.

He closed the white closet door. Darkness surrounded me. I couldn't see. It felt like my eyes were closed.

Even after my dad talked to me, I still felt afraid. I had a feeling my dad wasn't telling me something.

I didn't think anything would happen to him, but I was worried. I could tell he had something on his mind, but he decided to hide it from me just to make me feel calmer.

Being in the dark was making me feel more anxious and with every minute that passed by the more, I wanted to huddle up in a corner and cry.

I remembered that, there was a flashlight inside of the closet. I slowly moved my tiny hands across the cold wooden floor.