Chapter 9

May 11th

"Then what is it then?" asked Kahlil.

"I did it!" admitted my mother while shouting.

Our attention shifted over to my mom.

"I killed that guy, but I was trying to protect my daughter," admitted my mom without hesitation while sounding nervous and shakey. 

I didn't say anything, but that was the sweetest thing she has said to me in years. I smiled slightly but tried to hide it by putting my head down. While fidgeting my ginger hair and avoiding eye contact with her.

"Please don't call the cops," She begged.

I looked over at Kahlil and our eyes locked. We stared straight into each other's eyes for a minute.

"I won't tell," He said finally.

Me and my mother sighed out of relief.

"But why are you here, Lola?" asked Kahlil.

"I helped move the body," I admitted.

"Did you mop your floors?" asked Kahlil.

"No," I sighed.

"You need to get back home and mop the floors. Then next, burn your clothes and bleach your car seats. Scrub any spot in your house that you think he touched," said Kahlil.

"Uh, how do you know so much?" I asked.

"Yeah, and have you ever killed someone?" added my mom.

"I've never killed anyone, but I covered my grandmother's murder," admitted Kahlil.

"Uh, why?" asked my mom.

"Because I didn't want anyone to know that I saw it happen," explained Kahlil.

"But why?" asked my mom.

"Mom, can you just stop asking him questions? It's none of our business," I said.

She rolled her eyes and sighed loudly.

"Fine," She said in an annoyed tone.

"Do you need me to drive you to school?" asked Kahlil.

Did he seriously just offer to drive me to school?!

"Uh, s-sure," I stuttered nervously.

I was fidgeting with my long ginger hair and biting my lip.

"Did you bring your backpack with you?" He asked.

"No," I sighed.

"Okay, how about you go home and clean up. Then I'll meet you back here in 20 minutes," suggested Kahlil.

"Okay," I said, slightly smiling nervously.

My mom and I hopped into the car and she began to drive. Then out of nowhere, she smacked me on the back of my head.

"Why the hell do you have a crush on your therapist?!" She shouted.

Her muscles were tense and her jaw was clenched. The speed of the car got faster because she wasn't paying attention to the road. She stared deep into my brown eyes for a couple of seconds.

"Mom, watch out!" I yelled.

We were about to hit another car going in the other direction.

If it wasn't for me, she would have hit that car. Thank God she stopped before she did.

"Shit!" She yelled in frustration.

"This is why you don't yell at me while driving," I mumbled quietly to myself.