Kabanata 35

Kabanata 35 : Clouds

A week had passed and we were busy in our own work field. We still text each other if we have time and he would always call me at night before we sleep.

I had a scheduled operation today so I was early in the hospital. I was wearing my scrubs and then I wore a surgical gown before I entered the operation room. The anesthesiologist is already there. I looked at the clock and I announced that we'll be starting the operation. I already told the family of the patient that this operation might not be successful but they manage to push through and it also means that they trust me. So I shouldn't fail this operation.

Halos apat na oras na akong nakatayo at naka-focus lamang sa ginagawa when suddenly the vitals were dropping. Blood flew through my face, I haven't hit any nerves but...

"Charge to 200 joules," I said. Beads of sweat forming on my forehead.

"Doc, pulse rate is dropping," my nurse said. They are now controlling the bleeding and preparing a bag of blood when the patient's heart rate turned into a flat line.

"Clear," I said and repeated the procedures.

With a heavy heart, "Time of Death, 4:43 pm," I declared and we all bowed down.

This was my first unsuccessful operation. My chest was heaving, I don't know what to say to the patient's family.

"Family of the patient," I said and they stood up in unison. "I'm sorry we did our best." I said and also broke down when the sister of the patient suddenly collapsed. The nurses went and checked her and brought her to the emergency room.

It was a risky operation and this was the second operation of the patient. I excused myself while containing my tears. I then removed my surgical gown and went to the restroom. May bahid pa rin ng dugo sa mukha ko. I shut my eyes tightly. Naghilamos ako pero nanghihina pa rin ako.

Naglalakad ako at dinala ako ng paa ko sa garden. Huminga ako ng malalim. It never feels good to lose someone, it will never be. Naupo ako sa bench at tinakpan ang mukha ko gamit ang aking palad.

I was like that for a couple of minutes when I felt someone sat beside me. I looked at who it was and saw Jac's face.

Is he really here? I extended my hand until it reached his face.

"How's the operation?" He asked. He's really here and I'm not imagining. Base sa ekspresyon ng aking mukha ay agad niyang nalaman kung ano ang kinalabasan ng operasyon.

"I know you did your best," He whispered and draped his arms over my shoulder. Isinandal ko ang ulo ko sa balikat niya. "You always give your best," He added.

"But I think it's not enough," A tear drop from my eye.

"Don't think that way okay? He knows he did your best and it's really his time to go."

His words somehow comforted me. Hindi ko alam kung makakaya ko pa bang mamatayan ng pasyente. It is an inevitable fate and an unbearable pain.

"Kain nalang tayo?" Sabi niya at inangat ang hawak niyang plastic at may dalawang solo tubs doon ng ice cream. "Baka matunaw pa ito," He said and opened the lid before handing it to me.

"Kanina ka pa ba dito?" I asked while trying to eat my ice cream.

"Hmm oo, pero kababalik ko lang kasi bumili ako ng ice cream," sagot niya.