Kabanata 32

Kabanata 32 : Trigger

I was still in shock but I managed to keep my calm. I need to save his life so I should do everything I can. That's what I swore, and I should keep my word.

The operation was long and it's been five hours since we started. He's a bit stable now but I can't say that he's not in the critical condition. He still need observation until he regains his consciousness.

Dinala siya sa intensive care unit para mas maobserbahan siya. The emergency ward was now a bit calm when I passed by there. Siguro ay nai-transfer na rin sila sa mga kwarto.

I went to my office and did some reports. Nagpahinga muna ako at 'di kalaunan ay nakatulog ako. The operation was so tiring that I couldn't barely process what happened.

I know that his job is as dangerous as the militaries but I just couldn't help it but to be wo-- Umiling ako at bumalik na sa pagkakaluklok sa desk ko.

I went out and met Dr. Quzion at the hallway.

"Doc," I greeted her and she smiled.

"You look tired, how's the operation?" She asked me, and just smiled weakly.

"It was successful but he's still in not a good condition," she tapped my shoulders as we walked down the hallway.

"My sister's still unconscious, she's also one of those who were rushed here earlier." My eyes widened.

"How is she?" I asked.

"Her condition's fine and I guess she'll be transferred to the camp's hospital once she gains her consciousness." She ordered a coffee and handed it to me. Umupo muna kami sa isang table.

"The one you operated... she's my sister's boyfriend," she said and my mouth went agape.

"Oh my God," I said. That's a tough one, they're both in the field where they could risk their lives.

"Anyways, I'll leave first. I still have rounds." Dr. Quizon said and tapped my shoulder again.

After a minute, I stood up and went to the hospital's garden area. Some patient's were taking a walk there. Naupo lamang ako sa isa sa mga bench doon.

I was there sitting, napagod na rin ako kakaisip sa kung ano-ano. Hindi ko alam kung ano dapatang gawin ko, I feel like I'm an empty shell who's just doing things to make her feel alive.

"Why do I feel lik my life's so messed up," mapait akong ngumiti at uminom sa kapeng hawak ko.

Ilang araw ang nakalipas ay pareho pa rin ang ginagawa ko. I was so drained by doing so many works, attending meetings, checking patients. I went to the ICU to check on Ryland's conditon but still he hasn't regained consciousness. He's in coma for three days.

Walang pagbabago sa condition niya, I was checking his vitals and it's good that it hasn't shown any bad signs.

Pagkalabas ko sa ICU ay nag-vibrate ang cellphone ko. I have an emergency meeting so i walked hurriedly to go to the conference room but I halted when I saw a familiar face.

I haven't seen him for weeks. Saglit na nagtama ang mata namin pero agad akong umiwas ng tingin. Lumipat angtingin ko sa dalawang babaeng kasama niya. The other one is familiar and so I remembered that I met her one time back in college. She's Jac's cousin pero yung isa ang hindi ko kilala. Lumipat uli iyong tingin ko kay Jac dahil nakatitig pa rin siya sa akin.