Chapter 34

*As always, this story is on-going and changes will be made along the way

Thank you to each and every one of you for reading my book. Your support is everything to me! :)

Feel free to comment & vote below!

** 

Isabella

"You're getting better at this!" Lorenzo exclaimed as I placed my shot glass on the table after successfully managing to not pull a face after taking it

I was definitely intoxicated. The alcohol had made its way through me and I was definitely on a level. We had made it through a number of shots and after a while, I was starting to enjoy them.

"I don't know if it's starting to taste better or if I am just getting more drunk,"

Lorenzo laughed, "I think it's definitely the drunk thing,"

"And you?" I poked his arm, "Are you even feeling the alcohol?"

He leaned against the table, facing me, "Yes, but I have a higher tolerance for it than you do,"

"You don't know that," I objected

"Do you feel like dancing?" He asked, suddenly changing the subject

"Yes!" I exclaimed

He burst out laughing, "See, that's how I know you're already quite drunk. Sober you hates dancing but drunk you, well drunk you has some moves,"

I could feel the heat spread across my cheeks, "So, you don't want to dance then?"

"Oh, of course, I do,"

He held out his hand and I slipped mine in his. The warmth of his hand against mine was a feeling I welcomed. He was right, sober me would never want to be on the dance floor but I was way past the point of making good decisions. He pulled me onto the dance floor and stepped closer to me, his one hand resting in mine and the other rested against my lower back. I was surprised by the tingling sensation that made its way through me as he pulled me closer. It felt good to be held again. I flicked my eyes up to Lorenzo but his eyes were focused in the distance as we moved together to the music. There was no denying his attractiveness and a part of me was attracted to him. Since the first time I met him, I was definitely taken by him but nothing compared to the way Giovanni made me feel. I felt guilty for thinking about him while in the arms of another man but I couldn't help it. The alcohol washed away any barriers I had up to keep the thoughts of him out.

Isabella, enough now

The voice in my head continuously reprimanded me and she was right. I was fighting a losing battle here and it was time to move on. I closed my eyes and pushed the thoughts of him to the deepest part of my mind. I focused on the music surrounding us. I focused on the way Lorenzo pulled me closer to him as we moved together. I breathed in the smell of his cologne as I opened my eyes to meet his. There was an intensity in his eyes that wasn't there before and I could feel the tension starting to creep in around us.

"What are you thinking Lorenzo?" I asked

A smile tugged at his lips before he answered, "You don't want to know what I'm really thinking, Isabella,"

I lifted an eyebrow, intrigued, "Now you have to tell me,"

"I'm thinking back to the first time we danced like this," He leaned closer to my ear, "Do you remember?"

I nodded

"I couldn't keep my eyes off you that night," he shared, "You looked so beautiful just like you look right now,"

My breath caught in my throat and he pulled back to meet my gaze. We were close now, inches away from each other and the tension surrounded me. I knew the alcohol was contributing to this situation and I wasn't sure how to react. I was terrified of the possibility that there may be a flicker of interest from my side. Or was I just enjoying the feeling of being in someone's arms again?

"And I know I shouldn't be saying this," he continued, "But you deserve to be told how beautiful you are,"

"Lorenzo," I breathed and opened my mouth to continue but he stopped me

"You don't have to say anything Isabella. I just wanted you to know,"

I smiled and the heat continued to spread across my cheeks. I couldn't help it. He was always upfront about his very clear interest and it was up to me not to lead him on if I wasn't in that place. A part of me wanted to forget about everything and just pull into him again. I wanted to get caught up in the tension but thankfully the rational voice in my head was still around to stop me. Instead, I leaned my head against his chest and enjoyed the moment with him and I was doing just that until I heard him say

"What is he doing here?"

I lifted my head and turned to follow his gaze to meet Giovanni's across the room. Instinctively, I jerked away from Lorenzo and immediately felt guilty about doing that. I turned back to Lorenzo who couldn't help but hide the disappointment from my reaction.

"I have no idea why he's here," I said quickly, "He's not supposed to be,"

"He just can't leave you alone can he?" He mumbled

I avoided looking back at Giovanni. I didn't want to focus on him. I didn't even want him to be here. Not when I was intoxicated enough to give in to my true feelings. The familiarity of the situation brought on a wave of unwanted nausea. The last time I was here was when Giovanni brought Casey. I wanted to be done with him that night. I should have been done with him. It would have saved me all this heartache if I had pulled myself away from him for good. The world was spinning and I had to use all the energy I had to focus on Lorenzo and nothing else.

"Just forget about him," I reached out and placed my hand on his arm, "Let's get a drink and I'm sure he'll leave soon,"

Please let him leave. Just knowing he was in the same room as I was enough to make the air around me thin and my heart beat at an incessant pace.

"Okay," Lorenzo grabbed my hand and led me to the bar