Chapter 32

*As always, this story is on-going and changes will be made along the way

Thank you to each and every one of you for reading my book. Your support is everything to me! :)

Feel free to comment & vote below!

** 

Isabella

I swept the last of the dust into a pile in the corner. I had finally managed to sweep this place up and was disgusted by the amount of dust that had accumulated. I placed the broom against the wall and bent down to reach for the dustpan just as the bell by the door jingled to let me know that someone had just stepped inside.

I turned around and to my surprise, Giovanni stood there casually.

"Hi," he said awkwardly

What in the world was he doing here? And why did my heart flutter at the mere sight of him? He stood awkwardly by the door with his hands in the pockets of his jeans. He had a dark green hoodie under his black leather jacket and his dark hair was hidden underneath a dark beanie. He didn't even try and yet, he still managed to take my breath away.

"Uh hi," I wasn't sure how I was supposed to respond to him, "What are you doing here?"

It had been a while since I had last seen him. I had been working so hard to focus on everything but him. I picked up extra shifts at the restaurant again and ended up coming here every time I had a spare moment. I didn't want to have time to think of him and the emptiness I felt in my life.

"Did you know Nate was in Barcelona?"

Nate? Out of all the reasons for him to be here today, I definitely didn't think it would be to ask about Nate. How the hell did he even know Nate was here?

I stood up and dusted my hands off, "Yes, I did,"

"When did you find out?"

"The day I got back from London,"

He jerked his head back, "And you didn't tell me?"

"I kind of had a lot on my mind that day, Giovanni," I sighed

I alluded to the reality of our situation. Why would I care about Nate being here if I had bigger issues to deal with? I walked over to the sink behind the counter and washed the dirt off my hands. Giovanni walked over and leaned his hands against the counter. I didn't want to look at him. I'd have to be reminded of how fucking great he looked in his leather jacket and grown-out beard. I didn't want to meet his deep brown eyes and be reminded of the love we once shared. I didn't want to be reminded of anything.

"Wait, how do you know Nate is here?" I asked, confused

"Oh, well I just met him," he said casually, "He works for my dad,"

I stopped what I was doing and turned to him, "No way,"

"That seems to be the general response to that information," he mumbled sarcastically

"He said he was working on a new project here," I explained, "I just never thought it would be with your dad of all people,"

"Well, apparently the universe has nothing better to do but throw plot-twists our way,"

I smiled at his attempt to lighten the mood. I was surprised by this though. Out of all the places Nate could end up, why did it have to be at my ex-boyfriend's father's company? My heart contracted as I referred to Giovanni as my ex. I hated it.