89

Edric's crying as he held his stomach was visible even outside his door.

Emira clutched the empty bottle in both hands.

Luz took her eyes away from the crack of the bedroom door.

"H... How long has he been like this?" She muttered.

Emira held back a tear.

"The moment he came back with Amity from the war... He's had these from time to time, it's never always because he takes the medicine for it. It's unpredictable," she said.

Luz swore she heard a hiccup escape her lips.

"I... I don't know what to do, I should've gone with them, maybe... Maybe sharing the same pain with them both would've been better than seeing it on them!"

"No, no, no... Don't think about that!" Luz immediately comforted her.

"Look, Ed will be fine... He'll be fine. That's a promise and, you should promise back to never think of things like that ever. They'd more likely kill me for not stopping you about it." She added.

Emira sniffled covering her face with both hands.

"I don't know what to do... The cure is taking so damn long to make all because the leader from the enemy side hid the book for it! It'll take longer than it already has to find it! I don't even know if they'll both make it in time for it anymore." She muttered through tears as she leaned on the wall, slowly lowering herself.

Luz bawled her fists, she couldn't do anything.

The voice wasn't there anymore to tell her anything that'll help her. It wasn't there to give her knowledge of how to solve this and that anymore, this was all up to her to figure out now.

"I'll find a way to get the cure," she lied.

It made Emira look up at her.

Her eyes were red and now that the light makeup she wore faded, she could see the clear bags under her eyes.

"I... Promise it, I won't just save my wife, but I'll save not only your brother but everyone who's ill for it." She added.

Emira nodded.

"Ok..." She breathed out between sobbing.

"Em--"

Emira quickly stood back up wiping her face with a handkerchief, erasing her makeup, nothing was left other than what she looked like whenever she'd be alone staring at a mirror.

"Em!"

Luz watched as Emira walked inside the room and knelt beside Edric holding his hand.

"It's alright, Ed! I and Amity aren't going anywhere! We're fine," she said.

Luz frowned lowering her gaze to the floor.

"It hurts... It hurts so bad. Make it stop! It hurts..." Edric cried out while curling even further with an arm still holding her stomach.

Luz turned her shoes around to leave.

She had to make better preparations for tomorrow and to get herself acquainted with everything else as well.

...

"Mom..."

Amity groggily sat up from her couch to look at who kept calling her in the dark.

"Jour? Nuit?" She muttered.

"Yeah, mom? Also, can we sleep here for the night?" Jour whispered.

Amity hummed.

"Yes, yes," she muttered.

"Can Amida also stay too?" Nuit whispered.

"Yes, yes," Amity was falling back into her deep sleep again.