Chapter 61 - A Humble Blessing

Rin swallowed, loud in the silent room. She met her grandfather's silver eyes.

"Grandfather...is there anything you have to say?" She asked slowly.

The old man sat in his seat, arms crossed over his chest. His fists were strangling themselves white.

"How long?" The words came tonelessly, as a statue would speak them.

"Two months." An Sun replied, almost too casually.

Bai Han's gaze went to An Sun's like a snake's to his prey, and his eyes glowed. The air around the young man seemed to tremble slightly, as if with heat or a breeze.

Two months ago. That was when the two went to Shaoshu together...and stayed overnight!

Bai Han's face went pale. He abruptly stood from his seat and reached for his sword.

"Grandfather! That's enough!" Rin's words filled the room, thinning the air until they could not breathe.

All three men appeared stunned. She had never risen her voice like that before. Bai Han stared at his granddaughter's pressing expression and reluctantly sat back down on the floor cushion. His entire face was twitching uncontrollably.

Rin sighed. She had raised her eyes and looked at Bai Han for a few seconds before she said seriously, "Grandfather, you have raised me well enough to make my own decisions. You taught me how to lead, to trust, to value myself. But most importantly...you taught me how to love."

She turned to An Sun, his face framed by the darkness of his hair. He was watching her, his eyes as deep as earth.

She smiled and closed her hand over his. "I love him. And he loves me."

An Sun's breath stopped, his eyes widening slowly. A small wave of heat made its way to the young man's ears. Although he appeared coy, he didn't hesitate to lock their fingers in a tight hold.

The faintest tremor crossed Bai Han's face, but he met his granddaughter's earnest gaze. He looked between the two with a stiff expression.

"Is it true? Do you love her?" He asked.

"I do." An Sun nodded seriously.

"Do you plan to marry her?" Bai Han's eyes narrowed.

"When I can support myself and provide for both of us, I do." His jaw set forward. "That is if she's willing. I will not force her hand."

Silence. Bai Han's eyes no longer held the cold, dark, and bitter resentment from the past. There was only distress. He was like a helpless child who was at a loss.

"Seeing how serious you both are, I'm not one to ruin something real." He sighed in defeat but suddenly looked up with a penetrating gaze. "But if you ever make her cry, I will drag her away from you and beat you senseless until you learn how to properly treat her!"

While Rin's eyes widened in shock, An Sun couldn't help himself from smiling a little. Stubborn and harsh as his words were, he knew this was the old man's way of accepting them.

"If such a day comes, then I will gladly accept your punishment." An Sun bowed his head.

The edge of Bai Han's mouth twitched, beard trembling. He huffed.

"Go." He waved his hand and turned his face away.

After that, there was nothing more to say. Just before leaving, Rin turned to her grandfather and hugged him.

"Thank you," She whispered in his ear before following behind An Sun.

Bai Han watched the girl's parting back. His shoulders, usually so straight and fine, seemed fallen. He sighed and turned to stare at the man drinking beside him with a scowl.