Chapter 33 - Story Of The Past

In the Imperial Palace's courtroom.

"I heard three of the Western provinces fell to the Tuhan army." A minster voiced after reading a report.

"This is the fifth one already..." A middle-ranked official murmured with concern.

"Not just that, but from other reports we've received, they have already expanded in areas in the northern territory several times. And they're still extending their territory by taking other tribes and provinces."

The murmurs of concerned officials articulated throughout the courtroom. Everyone else shared the same sense of distress. On the table before them was a detailed map of the Western Empire, each hill and crest, each town meticulously recorded. Already, the Tuhan's army conquered so many of their provinces.

The Emperor's face was gray, and he raised a hand to silence everyone's concerns. After done so, another voice emerged at the table.

"Your Majesty, may I make a suggestion." Rin voiced calmly.

Nodding his head half-heartedly, the Emperor waved his hand to give her permission.

"Due to the aggressive nature of the Tuhan people, they do not fear the empire's army at all." Rin paused and very slowly looked toward the other court officials before reverting to the Emperor. "Moreover, their skills are up to par with all the empires as well. Including armies from the east. All they require is larger numbers and land to defeat them. I would like to request for additional troops to be dispatched to the provinces at risk of being targeted."

Under her clear emerald eyes, the Emperor shifted in his seat. Not just himself, but all the other court officials seemed to be fixed on the young advisor's brilliant and rare eyes. Watching on the side, An Sun cleared his throat to shake their attention.

The Emperor lightly shifted his gaze away and replied, "Your request will be granted, Advisor Lan. I would also like you to come to my office in the afternoon. We will discuss the organization of reinforcement troops from the north you mentioned earlier."

Rin nodded her head and kept quiet as the meeting went on. She simply read the notes before her and would occasionally write things down for later discussion. When the meeting ended, all generals and court officials stood up to leave; all accept Rin, who waited to leave with the Emperor.

"Come," He stood up from his seat and beckoned a hand.

Nodding her head, Rin followed behind the Emperor to his office. They walked in silence through the winding halls and came at length to a large room. Inside, the walls were draped with deep-dyed golden tapestries and old weapons gleaming on the walls.

The Emperor gestured her to sit while he poured the two wine. Midway through pouring, he stopped and turned to her with a slight crease in his brows.

"Do you drink?" He asked.

"Only a little," Rin smiled.

His forehead wrinkled at this, and he regarded her for a moment. There was doubt in his gaze. Silently, the Emperor took the first cup for himself and reached for another bottle, pouring it into a new cup.

Rin guessed it was a lighter wine.

Turning, he handed her a cup and inclined on a bamboo couch bed. Settled on a cushion, Rin raised the cup to her lips and took a sip. It was a tart persimmon wine. Very much to her liking. She took another sip and stared at the Emperor in silence as he did the same.

Then something shifted in his face. A decision.

"Would you like to hear a story, Advisor Lan?" The Emperor kept his gaze upon her.