Chapter 44 - Slap Of Reality

By the time Rin arrived, men were gathered eagerly around An Sun. She could hear the gruff and loud voice of Bai Han.

"Well, what did that bastard have to say?"

Approaching the front, Rin caught sight of An Sun's face. He was standing differently, she noticed, shoulders back and legs braced. He looked older, somehow, taller even.

However, the look in his eyes was dark. He closed his eyes and drew in a deep breath. When he opened his eyes and lifted his head, the expression on his face was dreary.

"Prepare everyone. There will be a battle in a week."

There was only silence to his words. The watching men exchanged glances. When An Sun turned to walk away, Bai Han gripped his shoulder and pulled him back.

"What the hell do you mean? What did he say?"

"It doesn't matter." The suddenness of his answer startled them. Bai Han and the others were shocked.

An Sun's eyes lifted, they were bloodshot and withdrawn. "Tell the emperor to prepare all the troops." He removed Bai Han's hand from his shoulder and walked passed the parting group.

When he passed by Rin, he did not look at her. It was as if he had not even seen her. A sudden thought dawned on her then as she watched him walk away.

He was ignoring her.

Unconsciously, she stepped toward him, but her grandfather's voice stopped her. Pursing her lips, she shifted her feet, turning her back to An Sun's retreating figure.

...

That night, An Sun didn't appear for dinner. Considering the events that happened before, no one was surprised. However, the boisterous meals they usually enjoyed together were now quiet and stiff. No jokes from Yin Changpu. No food complaints from Bai Han. Just silence.

How could they, when very soon, there would be a battle.

Three days passed—the three days that it took to organize soldiers, to equip new weapons, to pack up food and clothing to last the length of the war.

Through every corner came the constant clatter of soldiers, bragging, and drilling and sharpening of their swords. For they had the strongest men on their side.

Rin, along with the help of Fan Mingli, helped form new tactics and traps for the day of battle.

All generals and commanders gathered to train the Bai and western troops, their numbers in thousands. Among them, An Sun trained day and night—sometimes hours after practice had already ended.

Rin and An Sun were never alone. During this time, she was always needed for something— her eye on draft sheets and figures, her advice on food supplies, and levy lists.

Even the small moments when they were alone, she noticed An Sun would take every chance to slip away. When she approached him, he would dismiss himself to train.

...

The sun sat high and hot in the sky that afternoon. Amongst the field was the slashing of swords and the bustling of quick feet against a stone ground.

Jin Yue had been training hours before and sweat-drenched her brows.

She held two weapons in her hand with a firm grace; a short, sharp spear and a sword. Her feet were sturdy against the dirt, and her eyes were piercing as if an opponent had been right in front of her.

In the distance, Yin Chanpu cautioned as he approached, selecting from the rack of weapons.

"You're training hard." His wrist flicked the sword at his side, and his eyes scanned the vicious swipe of her sword in the air, faster than his eyes could follow.