Chapter 11 - First Mission

The morning was unnaturally warm; beads of sweat dotted soldier's foreheads like dew on a melon. After breakfast, they were all summoned in the barracks main hall. It would seem the commander had an announcement for them.

The first words to come out of Commander Bo Guozhi's mouth left everyone dumbstruck.

"Starting today, Sun will be your new captain. I hope you all treat him well."

A fresh mutter went up and standing among the group of recruits, An Sun's brows twitched as he heard it. The murmurs carried the unmistakable echo of support, uncertainty, and resentment.

An Sun felt everyone's eyes fall on him causing the corner of his mouth to twitch.

This man...did he have to announce it so publicly?

Striding down the crowd of troops, Bo Guozhi put a hand on An Sun's shoulder and grinned.

"Good luck, Captain Sun."

And with that, he turned and sauntered out the hall doors, whistling a tune. An Sun was left with the men's stares on him. Inwardly, he sighed.

"I bet his leadership is as dull as his sword," A voice among the crowd sneered followed by snickering.

An Sun turned in the direction of the voice. His eyes narrowed. The young man straightened his own spine as An Sun approached him.

"Name." An Sun ordered in a low voice.

The recruit was surprised momentarily before he gathered his composure and answered.

"Hai Chuanli."

"Hai Chuanli..." An Sun repeated. There was a moment of silence between the two. With no particular expression on his face, An Sun unsheathed the sword on his waist.

Everyone within the room sucked in a sharp breath, too stunned by the sudden turn in events to speak.

Raising the sword to his face, An Sun admired it with an unreadable expression. When his cold, gray eyes fixed on Hai Chuanli, the young man tensed.

"Does this look sharp or dull to you?" An Sun touches the tip of his sword.

Staring at the long, gleaming sword, Hai Chuanli swallowed.

"S-Sharp."

The right side of An Sun's mouth drew up in a dangerous smile. He placed a hand on the young man's shoulder and squeezed.

"Right. Then you should know not to mess with sharp things. Remember that as I'll remember your name, Hai Chuanli." An Sun's voice rumbled. It was deep and steady, unwounded, and coldly mocking.

Absolute silence hovered in the hall, and fear flickered in the young man's eyes at last. That fear was made only sharper and deeper by the fact that he'd never truly expected to feel it. He pressed his lips together and said nothing.

"Do you understand?"

"Y-Yes." Hai Chuanli nodded nervously.

"Yes, what?"

Hai Chuanli bit his lip until he tasted blood, then sucked in a huge lungful of air and made himself nod. "Yes, Captain Sun," he said, his voice loud and clear enough to carry to every corner of the room, despite his shame.

An Sun smiled. It was a grim smile, but there was a hint of approval in it, and he eased the pressure on his grip.

"Good." He drew his sword back into his scabbard and stepped away. Danger clung to him like winter fog and, despite themselves, everyone swallowed.