Chapter 68 - Look On Blindly

"An army, you say? How many of them?" Emperor Guan Hong asked, his voice grim.

"Ten thousand at least." Jin Yue answered.

"Ten thousand?" The Emperor repeated. He turned to the envoy. "Are these the men your scouts saw in the east?"

Cupping his sleeves, the envoy nodded. "From what is described, they sound similar. Our men learned they are a foreign clan allied with the An Clan."

There was a silence then, and one could feel the tightness in the air around them. Standing in the back, An Sun's fists clenched behind him.

Jin Yue continued to report her observations. "But, though I could not see what was happening from afar, I believe that they have settled camp somewhere close near the city."

"If that's true, they'll attack by nightfall." General Donghai chimed in, his disfigured mouth curling into a snarl. "We should gather our strongest armies there and fight them head first!"

Rin nodded her head. "I agree. It will help us draw them away from the citizens. We must not delay."

The Emperor was silent, standing in front of everyone. When all eyes of apprehension had turned toward him, his eyes turned determined.

"Ten thousand men or not, we must fight. The men of the Bai, the Yun, and West, must ride forth today with axe, sword, and bow."

Rin's bright eyes moved to rest on the Emperor's. She couldn't help but smile.

...

"No. You're staying here with the citizens and Yun Suyin. Someone needs to keep an eye on her." Rin said, adjusting her saddlebag across a shoulder.

"It's not my fault she followed me here!" Aiguo followed her as she walked to her horse. "Didn't you say I could help here? Even you said I grew stronger! So, why can't I go with you?"

Turning, Rin sighed softly. She set a hand on his shoulder. "I know you are strong. But this is too dangerous for you to come. I can't guarantee I can protect you."

"I can protect myself!" Aiguo retorted, more abruptly than he wanted to. "If I have to stay here then...I'm just going to follow you!"

"Aiguo." Her face had gone cold as he spoke.

"Please. Trust me. I can do it." In a low hesitating voice, Aiguo began again, and slowly his words grew clearer and firmer. "I know you're scared. But you can't teach me to be strong if you shelter me from everything. You have to let me explore and experience my own battles."

Her lips pressed together. She regarded him for a moment, then made a low noise of frustration. Her gaze lifted to meet his. It was stern.

"This will not be like before. As hard as I will try, I may not be there to protect you. Whatever happens, run to safety. If you have no other choice...then you fight for your life. Do you understand?"

Aiguo's heart leaped. The severity in her tone shocked him. But he was not about to back down. He nodded his head.

"All right. Then go get into some armor." She said and mounted her horse.

As she watched the boy speed away, her hands clutching the reins tightened.

"You're letting him come?" A lighthearted voice approached her.

Rin turned. On his horse, Manchu's pair of blue eyes stared back at her. They seemed to be constantly smiling.

"He was right with what he said." She said softly. "I am scared. There are times where I wish I could predict the future...but such a thing is impossible. All I can hope is to keep him away from the danger."