Chapter 47 - Family Origins

The night fell black and moonless, but for once, the sky was clear. The candle had guttered out in a pool of wax, but the moonlight was shining through the shutters of the library window.

Books spread on Rin's table, tall stacks of them. That night's meal had turned cold beside her elbow, scarcely touched.

In the library, a figure crossed the room, their footsteps echoing on the stone floor. The man lifted his lantern and flicked its shutters wide open, light washed over the walls.

The sound of wings batted in the air behind Rin, before a weight landed on her shoulder. The falcon nestled against her cheek. Rather than responding to the affection, Rin turned to meet the man standing behind her.

"Did you know?" She fixed him in a sharp stare.

No one spoke. No one moved. The two of them stared at each other in silence. It seemed to Rin that Wei Jingyi broke first and was about to sit, though sullenly. He set the lantern on the table, the pages on the books lighting up. Seeing the written words, his eyes dimmed.

He stared at Rin helplessly for a long moment and then sighed.

"From all my years of knowing your mother, I am bound to pick up on a few things."

For a moment, it seemed as though Rin had not heard. She showed no pleasure at the news, no anger, no disbelief, not even relief.

If this was the truth, then was that why the An Clan was after her? Did An Ruo know about her and who she was?

A descent of the Tuscahara.

Rin stared at Wei Jingyi with teeth clenched hard. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"If your mother never thought to tell you, then what right did I have?" He shrugged.

"Then the very least you can tell me, how did she meet my father? Was she..." Her voice trailed off into uncertainty.

Again, he sighed. "I can't deny your mother didn't stay with your father willingly at first. But in the end...they really did love each other. Even more so after they had you, princess."

Rin stared down at her hands and said nothing. She stood up from her chair, the falcon on her shoulder flying down onto the table. She left everything behind her.

Returning to her room, she buried herself deep within the covers. Though she tried, sleep would not come for the rest of the night.

On the morning of the fifth day, everyone woke up early, and like normal, training began. Taking the time to distract herself, Rin worked alongside Fan Mingli longer than usual. The time passing, along with the memories.

"Advisor Lan?"

Rin lifted her head to see a pair of small, black eyes and a freckled face staring back.

"I'm sorry, can you say that again?"

Fan Mingli nodded and scooted closer on the bench. He lifted the notebook from his lap.

"I was asking what you thought of us creating three trenches at the front of the palace. We can release arrows and cannons from there." He flipped a page. "And if the men need to retreat, we can construct tunnels on the sides."

Rin took hold of his notebook, her eyes drifting over the many notes and drawings.

"This is incredible." Her eyes shone brightly while flipping through the pages. "You really thought this all out, Fan Mingli."

The young man lowered his head; the tips of his ears tinged red. "Thank you. But you don't have to say that. It's not really impressive."

Rin turned her face to him and then sighed. She gently set the notebook on the table, fixing him with a solemn stare.