Chapter 45 - A Liar With Regrets

*WARNING: The following content may contain mildly mature content that may not be suitable for younger audiences.

"Sun..." Rin whispered, her voice faint and small.

She felt weak and light-headed, yet strangely resolute as if a great weight had lifted from her. Then, her legs weakened.

"Rin!" An Sun rushed to her side, binding his arms tightly around her shoulders.

The two of them leaned against the bed, sitting on the cold wood floors. He held up her bloody hand. The cuts in her fingers went deep, almost to the bone. His hands trembled.

"Shit. It's okay. You'll be okay." He softly tried to console her and kissed the top of her sweaty head.

An Sun quickly ripped a piece of the blanket from her bed and bound it around her wound, holding it close to his chest. She winced as he tightened the knot.

"Sorry," He grimaced, his voice low and deep.

"It's all right," Rin reassured softly.

He looked down at her, and she saw the pull her words had on him, the struggle in his eyes. He swallowed, and his arms clenched her shoulders tighter.

"Rin...I..."

Just then, a group of men burst through the door, two being her grandfather and uncle.

"What happened?!" Bai Han ran to her and knelt to grip her face in his large hands, turning it side to side. "Are you hurt? Where are they?"

An Sun stood up. "They seem to be gone."

"Then send someone to catch them!" Bai Han roared.

"There's no need. We can't waste any resources or energy. They're gone." Rin lightly patted her grandfather's hand. When he saw her bandaged up hand, his eyes narrowed.

"Sit down." Bai Han urged her onto the bed and grabbed the blanket, wrapping it around her. Rubbing the blood from her lips, he forced her head against his shoulder.

While she leaned on her grandfather's shoulder, more men entered, including the emperor. When he asked what had happened, Rin explained in full detail. At the end, everyone was certain of what had just taken place.

The An Clan had tried kidnapping their strategist.

"Those bastards..." Bai Han's voice was thick with anger.

Sitting on her side, General Guo rubbed her hand in reassurance. He grunted to Bai Han's words.

"For now, you should sleep in my room. It's safer." Bai Han offered.

"Commander Bai is right. We can't take any risks of another attack." The emperor agreed.

Rin looked up at them and sighed but nodded her head. She also did not want to take the risk.

"All right. Everyone, go back to bed. We will discuss tonight's events further in the morning. And make sure you all stay on guard." The emperor warned and retreated to his room, a eunuch and a group of guards following close behind him.

"Finally, I can get some fucking rest." General Donghai grumbled and left the group.

"How can we fall asleep after what just happened?" Fan Mingli murmured.

"Don't be such a wimp. Besides, with me by your side, you should rest easy." Yin Changpu boasted with a smirk. His eyes glanced to the side where Jin Yue happened to be.

"Shall I also rest in your room, Commander Bai?" Jin Yue asked.

"No. You go rest." Bai Han reassured.