Lying

I woke up, not in any bed I've ever felt before. It was soft and queen-sized. I heard the sizzling of bacon and the smell of it. The lights were on for once, I don't think I've woken up in a bright room for a while. I yawned and blinked until I could see clearly. I saw a man with long dark brown hair moving around in front of a fridge, oven, and counters. "I-Izuru?" I tiredly sat up, confused about how he got a whole-ass kitchen in here overnight.
"You're finally awake Y/n." He said in a pleasant tone I wasn't used to. He stopped cooking and came up to kiss me on the lips. "Breakfast's ready."

"I'm not hungry." I rubbed my eyes just to make sure they weren't deceiving me. "Not hungry? That's so unlike you. Especially for my cooking." Normally, I would get breakfast on my way to school and pick up dinner for us using my own money at some popular restaurant. I've never tried his cooking before. That was when it hit me. I quickly shut my eyes and buried my face in my hands. "Huh? Why's are you doing that?"
"I'm dreaming! If I look at you I'll wake up!"

"But darling, you already looked at me. If you're dreaming, then you would have already woken up." He made a good point. How was I still in this dream? I uncovered my face and opened my eyes again and was able to look at him without waking up. He was still smiling, I couldn't tell if I hated it or loved it.
"Your dreams are from one year in the past right? So that means yesterday you tried killing yourself. Makes sense why the future would change. I guess I'll drop the act." He stopped smiling and had that serious face again. I was semi-relieved but also mad that he was lying to me about loving me. "You live with me here with no despair and you get your happily ever after, right? That's what you think, but I disagree. This may be what you want but I'm fairly unhappy living here with you." I was getting mad at him, first, he told me to stop the despair from happening, then when I do, he's still unhappy?! What a jerk, if he cared so much why doesn't he do it himself?!
"Tomorrow, I'm going to ask you an important question, you will answer yes to that question."
"And what if I don't? Why should I care that you're sad as long as I'm happy?"
"I want to take you outside." He pulled me out of bed and got me on my feet.

"Maybe you'll reconsider." He opened the door to the outside world and I immediately felt the tears run down my face. All the hard work I put into saving the world still did not affect me. I heard gunshots and scream, the sky was red and I could smell smoke. "How? I made you smile, how did this still happen?"
"It's tied to the question I ask you tomorrow, if you don't want this future, say yes to me. Don't think about it too much." I still felt horrible, I still felt like my life was a waste, I was still crying.
"How do I leave?" I was still stuck inside this dream, and I wanted to get out as fast as I could. Instead of answering my question, he went back into the basement and into the room we were staying in. He grabbed a small piece of paper from the counter and started writing on it.
"Can you answer me?" I unhesitatingly demanded. I wasn't in the mood to stay here anymore.

"I have a life still. When you wake up, I need you to go to the grocery store, so I'm making you a list."
"Is it even safe to go out?"
"No, but we have to eat somehow." I took the list from him and in a fit of anger, I tore it all up. "Why did you do that?"
"Because I need to wake up, and I don't know how!"
"I'm sorry but I don't know how to either."
"Yes you do!" I grabbed him from his collar and started shaking him. I was getting irrationally angry for something he couldn't control. But he didn't even stop me from shaking him. He just looked off to the side.
"Fine, you got me." I stopped shaking him. "Wait, you really know how?"

He chuckled. "I'm surprised you didn't already figure it out. I knew you were a bit dumb, but I didn't think you were this dumb." He forced me to let go of his collar and whispered in my ears. "I'm the one making you experience these dreams." I took a step back, uneasy.
"What? Why? How?" He chuckled even more. "Don't you realize? In every single reality, I'm bored with the despair Junko brought to the world. I knew you were the only person who could save me, so I brought you here so you could change my future." He pulled me into an embrace. "I don't remember how many times I've brought you here, but it must be a lot. I have to thank you for all your hard work." He kissed me again and I fell into his trap again too. He was so good at manipulating me, I even questioned if he was manipulating me now, even though I knew full well he was. I broke up the kiss by pulling away in horror.

"Izuru...why are you lying to me?" His eyebrow perked up. "It's impossible for you to control my dreams, because the first dream I had was when you were still Hajime."
"Darling, you think you're so smart by trying to catch me in a lie, but like I said, I make you dream about the future from the future. So it is definitely possible."
"No, it still isn't!" I snapped back. "If you really wanted me to help you, you wouldn't make me wake up the second I saw your face!" His smiling stopped. It looked like I caught him that time. "The second time I was in the dream, you just happened to find me and brought it up while I was-"
"Shut up." I shut up on command.
"I get it, you made your point. You don't need to keep explaining. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so you better cherish it and never forget it. I will never make a mistake again, you got that?" I couldn't believe he actually lied to me. I wondered why he did it. What would he gain if he did it?
"But it's not entirely a lie. Do you want to wake up?" I nodded. "Then you're gonna wake up." He snapped his fingers and-