-24-

"Y/L/N" your boss called from his office, you turned your head "why is Montgomery asking for you, personally, to attend the Random House function with his team?" You raised an eyebrow, Julian Montgomery was on the Forbes top 40 list, he owned seven of the countries biggest companies, and he wanted you, a low level executive at a publishing firm to be with his team at an event? "I'm not sure sir," Your boss came over "well he's asking for you, personally," you stared in confusion "have you ever even met him?" You shook your head "No, Dan, I haven't." You sighed. He glanced up "you haven't- uhm- you know.."

"Dan, I have a fiancée, I haven't slept with Julian," He nodded "well, you're going with him, this would be good for you and for the company, good press." He crossed his arms, looking around the room, Daniel McHall, he never liked you but since you'd gotten in trouble things had seemed to get worse, more pressure and more work, maybe Julian asking for you was going to help.

"Spence," you held your phone to your ear with your shoulder as you buttoned your shirt "I'm on a flight out at nine, a big CEO asked for me personally, to attend a some event in Chicago,"

"That's amazing, Y/N." You did a little dance in the mirror "Do you have any idea when you'll be home?" You asked, "no, this case has been hell, it could be another three days or another five," You sighed, it had already been four.
"I'm only supposed to be gone for two days max," you said as you pulled on one of Spencer's sweaters over your button up.

"Call me when you get there okay, and don't, you know- get murdered." You laughed taking a picture of yourself and sending it to Spencer "Hey- are you wearing my sweater?" You giggled "mhm, good luck charm," You could hear his smile through the phone "I love you, Spence, I'll call you when I get there," You grabbed your bag off the bed "I love you, Y/N."

The flight was smooth and security was fast, just as you'd hoped. The hotel was only a fifteen drive away but as you loaded your bags into the rental car, a text popped up on your phone Sailors Cabin, 11:00 pm. -J.M. You groaned, you wanted to get to sleep. Don't worry it will be quick, You sighed and punched in Sailors Cabin on the GPS.

The bar was small and fairly empty, the walls were decorated with nautical ropes and art, it smelled sickly like cheep beer. You glanced around, a few guys with cheap jackets and torn shoes, and then a tall, slender man in the back with a muscular build and a perfectly groomed hair and beard. He waved at you, you walked over, still wearing Spencer's sweater. "Y/N Y/L/N?" He said in a deep, serious voice, he eerily reminded you of Hotch. "That would be me," you smiled shaking his hand.

"Care for a drink?" He said gesturing at the bar, you shook your head "alright then," he said straightening out his tie, "you're probably wondering why I called you, Specifically." you nodded. He looked you up and down before sighing "Helen Bennet, you know, the CFO of your firm, was telling me about your little stunt during the meeting with the top execs and at first, i thought you were ruining business but then- i realized you haven't let corporate life destruct your morals, you still see what's best- and that's good for the face of our company." You sat down.

"So you want me at the event for face?" He nodded "I'll be sharing your opinions with the press, and as our grand finale I'll be publishing our new author over the old guy, what's his face? Grant something, he has like six books published with us and he's-"

"Look, Julian, I appreciate the offer, but I don't want a promotion just so the company can have good press," you patted his arm as you stood up, your phone buzzed in your pocket, you picked it up as you walked over to the bar "Hey, Spence, I land-" His nervous voice cut you off. "Y/N, are you by any chance with Julian Montgomery?" He was talking a mile a minute. "Yeah Spence- why?"

"God, okay, can you see him right now?" You nervously looked around, he was sitting at the table, typing on his phone "y-yeah? Spence, can you explain what's going on?" you heard Hotch's voice from the other end of the line "Y/N, I need you to stall him for a few hours." You lowered your voice to an aggressive whisper "Spencer Walter Reid if you don't explain to me what's going on-" "Y/N, that man has organized the murders of seven people at another one of his companies, I need you to stay with him and keep him in your sight, we're up in Michigan on our way down, wait for the local authorities." You nodded "Try and stay in a public place, don't let him take you anywhere, I doubt he has any desire to kill anyone himself but I wouldn't put it past him," Aaron instructed you, "please be safe, Y/N."

"Okay- I'm at the Sailors Cabin bar on Woods Street," You stared at your shoes "Spencer, I love you."

"I love you too, Y/N." You hung up turning towards Julian "Hey, Julian." He looked up "I just got off the phone with Dan, and I think I would like to go to the event with you, but I have some questions first, can I take you up on that offer for a drink?"