-21-

*Two months later*

"So," Spencer said laying out a blanket "does this spot work?" You looked around you, you were standing in the most beautiful spot you had ever seen, the view was jaw dropping, you had driven through what seemed to be a never-ending dirt road to get here, it was a small peak overlooking your entire town, you could see the FBI headquarters far off in the downtown, and your apartment down by the waterfront. "God it's beautiful," you exhaled as you surveyed the tangled trees and blooming bushes around you. "I'm glad," You felt Spencer's arms wrap around you from behind, "this spot was founded by a group of hikers in 1974, it was originally used as campgrounds but the withering cliffs eventually made it too small a space, I used to come here all the time when I first moved down here." You smiled leaning back into him, letting him hold you, all of you.

"Well I love it," the sun was going down, setting a warm glow to everything. 'This is what love feels like.' You thought. You turned, entangling your arms around his neck, driving a joy-filled kiss onto his lips. You kissed him harder, feeling his hands tighten around your waist, pulling you into him, you knew you could lose him any day and it was moments like these that made you realize what it was all for.

"I have something that could really set the scene," he whispered against your lips, he walked over to the car, pulling a wicker basket, classic, and a hardwood box out of the trunk. He looked so perfect, walking towards you, bags in hand, wearing a button-up with the sleeves pushed up and his favourite converse. He set the stuff down pulling two wine glasses from the basket and opening the box, a record player. He set the tonearm onto the record and the scratchy music began to play, Can't Help Falling in Love started to drown out the noises of the faraway traffic. Spencer poured you both tall glasses and handed one to you "for you, my love." He breathed into your neck, wrapping his spare arm around you.

You both sipped your wine as the record started out, then simultaneously set them down as the chorus neared, you pressed your cheek against his shoulder, putting your hand in his, the other one on the back of his neck, his hand set on your hip. You swayed back and forth in the wind as the song played in the background. You were wearing a white chiffon dress that went to just below your knees, the soft fabric brushing against your body as you danced. Spencer hummed the tune flawlessly, his shoulders rising and falling with each breath. The next song began to play. Yellow by Coldplay, "This is one of my favourites-" You smiled looking up at Spencer. "I know," He smirked, "I ordered this record, custom for you," You felt your heart flutter as he said it, "Spence-" You stammered "you didn't have to-" He cut you off with a kiss.

"of course I had to, you love music, and I love you," He pulled you close to him, cupping your face in his hands "promise you'll never let go," he said with a startling tone of seriousness, you nodded. "no say it, say you promise, I've had so many people walk out on me and die, promise you won't." You nodded again, "I- I promise you, Spence, I'm not going to do what everyone else did," He beamed, kissing you quickly but passionately, "Thank you, Y/N, now, I have a few questions," You pulled his hands down from your face and into yours.

"yes?"

"firstly, what do you think about having dinner with me and the team?" You felt a giant grin creeping onto your face, you nodded vigorously.
"That would be amazing, I can finally meet the famous Penelope- or Hotch- ooh, Derek, I'd love to meet Derek."

"Of course, everyone would be there," he shifted nervously "now, secondly-" You felt his palms grow sweaty in a matter of seconds "I- uh- shit- god I feel stupid- look I," He pulled away from you

"Y/N, I'm in love with you, I have been since the day we met, even when we were just friends. I love everything about you, from you smile to your mind, god how I wish I could understand what goes on in your head, I know we've been through a lot but I want you to know I'm never going to let anything ever drive us apart ever again, I'm going to stand by your side whether I'm your friend, boyfriend or-"

"husband."

He whispered up to you as he knelt in front of you. His face was nervous and sweaty, his hands were shaking, you gaped in awe at him, heat rushing to your cheeks. A life with Spencer Reid, a life as not just his best friend but his partner t'ill death. You looked into his large, hazel eyes, they were full of hope and love, the things you loved most about him, his undying yet hidden optimism.

"I know it hasn't been long since we started dating, but I know we've been in love since the day we met..." tears brimmed his eyes, his lips parting to expel a nervous breath "Y/N will you marry me?"

You paused, resting a hand on his cheek, wiping a tear from his face with your thumb.

"Yes, god yes Spencer, you're my best friend and love of my life-" He stood up a big and relieved smile on his face, sliding the ring onto your hand. It was silver, with thin metallic branches entwined around an emerald gem, it was breathtaking. You took Spencer in your arms, kissing him, holding him, being the shield between him and every bad thing out in the world to get him, to get you both. "Loving you is the best thing to ever happen to me,"

"I could say quite the same future Mrs.Reid."