-1-

"Y/N!" you glanced over your shoulder as you poured some lukewarm coffee into a to-go mug, Spencer's tall, lanky figure stood in the doorway of your kitchen a slight half-grin spread across his sharp face "there is a 34% chance that a robber could break into your home at any time through the front door, a 67% chance overall, and when you leave it unlocked your chances of getting robbed raise by almost 300%." He shoved his hands into his pockets "what if I had been a sadistic killer?" You smirked and grabbed your coat off the hook on your kitchen wall.

"well are you?" he cocked his head to the side like a confused puppy, his eyes widening ever so slightly "are you a sadistic killer?" he let out a light chuckle, as you slipped past him.

"Why would I openly confess if I was, sadists want to make themselves known, but an open confession to a possible victim before inflicting any pain is highl-" you pressed a finger to his lips and shushed him.

"no FBI talk before coffee, Spence." He smiled down at you, he was almost a foot taller than you, nine inches taller to be exact. He grinned as you opened the front door and gestured to the elevators, he pulled it open and let you walk out ahead of him. Spencer Reid had been one of your closest friends for nearly six years at this point, ever since you had moved into the apartment below his and started working at the new publishing firm a few blocks away you two had spent almost all of your free time together. He had a way with words that, as a writer, you quite appreciated and you had a way of making things fun and calm that Spencer seemed to crave after a long day at the BAU. You two made an excellent pair.

You noticed as you got into Spencer's Prius that his to-go bag was sitting in his backseat, "another trip?" you pointed at the bag over your shoulder a sad smile pulling at your lips, you were planning on telling him about your possible new guy tonight at dinner but you were used to waiting and delaying things, it was part of his job.

"Yeah.." he said with a sad sigh, you knew how badly he wanted to spend time with you and you knew he didn't have control over his schedule "we're just going to Idaho on a minor case, it won't take long, I promise I'll be back by the end of of the week." He sighed remorsefully as you nodded "I'm sorry, Y/N."

"It's okay Spence, I have some big news and I wanted to tell you tonight over dinner but I know you can't control your job." You watched as he attentively hit his turn signal, pulling onto the highway for the short drive downtown.

"Y/N, how important is it, is everything okay?" You laughed quietly and stared at your worn out doc martens, they were the only thing that you felt distanced you from the people you worked with, like Spencer, you were the youngest in the office and the last thing you wanted was to turn into those suit and tie, grey-haired mopes. You always dressed appropriately in light sweaters and plaid high waisted pants, your glasses that were always a little too big for your face, it took you a long time, but you were finally confident in yourself and just because you worked in a big corporate publishing office didn't mean you had to lose your sense of self.

"Just this guy... Uhm... Matt, he works in one of the other offices in my building and, uh- we get coffee together all the time and he asked me out to dinner.." You glanced up nervously at Spence, you two never talked about stuff like this before, romance was never a topic you felt was necessary to discuss.

"That's amazing, Y/N, Uhm, I'm really happy for you!" He smiled and for the first time, you couldn't tell if it was genuine or not, he abruptly pulled into a spot outside your office "tell me more about him when I get home. Have a good day." You climbed out of the car and before you could lean back in to say goodbye he leaned across the passenger seat and shut the door, speeding back onto the road.

"Jeez, what's his fucking problem," You thought to yourself as you watched his car disappear into a sea of screeching vehicles.