-19-

OKAY YOU GUYS- A LIL CHANGE UP- I JUST REWATCHED SEASON 14 FOR UHm uH.. research purposes... and.. well ik I said season 5 Reid in the disclaimer bc that's my second favourite season (i stg I'm not accepting any hate for that). but man season 14 Reid just *chefs kiss* so it's season 14 Reid now, sorry not sorry! changing the disclaimer!!

5 months later.

"Shit." You fumbled with your keys in the lock, "come on-" You aggressively shoved the key into the lock, hearing a faint snap. "Oh for fucks sake," you had a pounding headache, a very persistent side effect to the surgery. It had taken you two months to recover from the event. Spencer had taken such good care of you, cooking you food, even if it wasn't that good. He would give you meds for your headaches and comfort you when you cried. Oh, you loved him so. But no matter how grateful you were and no matter how willing he was to help, you could feel yourself weighing him down, adding extra pressure.

You had sat him down after those two months, looked him in the eye and began to cry "Spencer, you've done so much for me." You said as he held your shaky hands "and I know that it's been so much and you've been nothing but amazing to me, you helped me through everything, and I  love you so so much." He didn't speak, his tired eyes searched for yours to no avail "But you need a rest, you need a break, I can do things on my own now." He nodded, biting his lip angrily "I- I love you Spencer, but this closeness, I thought it would solve the space between us, but it has only made things worse for you. I'm not breaking up with you, I'm always a text away but I need you to understand that you need space and time for yourself." "Okay." He said softly "I understand." You had kissed him, pressing your lips against his as he held you in his arms like it was the last time you would touch.

And now you were standing in your hallway after the worst day with a pounding headache and groceries that needed to be put away and a broken key. You felt yourself wanting to cry again but you picked yourself up and took a deep breath. You searched for the handyman's number on your phone but it wasn't there, you could've sworn it was there from the time you burnt your oven making lasagna. You sighed no one else had a spare key except-

"Spencer?" You asked as you knocked lightly on his door. He was probably on a case, hell, he was probably halfway across the country. You turned after a quiet moment heading back to the stairs, then there was a familiar creak of a door. "Y/N?" his voice was weak and quiet. When you turned to see him, he looked different, somewhat older, his hair was longer and he had more stubble now, he was perhaps even taller, even though you were well aware he was far too old to keep growing. His apartment was dark like you remembered but the 5 pm evening light illuminated him as if he was some angel, making your heart pound in your chest.

"Hi- uh. hey.." You said carefully, "sorry- it's just- I, my key broke and-" he nodded "Oh okay, yeah one sec I think I have it somewhere." he said quickly before disappearing into his apartment. He returned with a key, a semi-worn down heart was drawn on with sharpie, you had done that. You assumed he would've erased it by now, but of course, he hadn't. You smiled, "do you know how to get a broken end of a key out of a lock, by any chance?" You laughed nervously, he smiled and for a moment you could feel refuge in his presence, "of course, let me grab a screwdriver." You giggled, of course, he knew how to do that.

"So," He said while he wedged the screwdriver into the lock "how've you been?" you sighed as you leaned against the wall. "Well." You started "I'm on suspension from work," he raised an eyebrow at you, causing you to giggled "well, I had to have a meeting with some company heads and they wanted to publish this guys book but I did my research and yeah his book is not terrible but he is and I told them and well, they didn't care about all the things he's said, so I got... erm.. mad. To put it lightly," he chuckled and shook his head. "Only you Y/N, only you could care so much." You scoffed playfully "what does that mean, doctor?" He stood up applying a little pressure to the door, it opened willfully. "It means you have an awfully big heart," He smiled and collected his things off the ground. Turning towards the stairs "Spence-" He looked over his shoulder "wanna.. come in?"

"I'd love to"

CHAPTER 20 UP TOMORROW