Homecoming

We have been in Portland for the past few days now and at the moment, we were in the woods, turning some werewolves into hybrids. I was carrying Jayden in my arms as well as holding Rocky's leash while Nik walked in front of us. 

His phone rang and he picked it up, automatically starting to talk. "Portland is fantastic once you get over all the whiney music and healthy-looking people." He stops and I stand next to him. "It's literally a breeding ground for werewolves."

Nik's face changed a bit after I guess whoever he's talking to, spoke. I sent him a confused look but he ignored it. "What did you say to me?" He says. I could tell he was confused and then he started walking again, which made me follow after him. "Well, first, I want you to explain to me exactly what happened."

Nik stopped again and I stood in front of him. "What happened?" I whispered but he continued to listen to the person on the other side of the phone. 

A while passes and the Nik speaks again. "I want to see him." He says and I just stand there confused. "I want to see his rotting body for myself." I decide to just stay quiet and ask him what happened after he hangs up. "If you're lying to me, Stefan, your compulsion will expose you." Oh, so it's Stefan he is talking to. I have a feeling this is not good. "So answer with your life. Is what you're saying the truth?" 

"I want to talk with Rebekah." Nik says and I guess Stefan answered with a yes. 

I take this time to say something. "Put it on speaker, Nik." I tell him and he does so. Now I could hear the conversation. 

"Hello, Nik." I hear Rebekah say from the opposite side of the phone. 

"Rebekah, love. What's this I hear about Mikael's tragic run-in with a dagger?" Nik says and my jaw drops at the name 'Mikael'.

"Your dad?" I mouth and Nik nods. 

"It's true." Rebekah says. "He's finally out of our lives for good." I could tell Nik was a bit relieved and I rubbed my hand up and down his arm. "I miss you. I'm miserable here." 

I stand there a bit surprised with what Rebekah said. I thought she would be mad that we left her in Mystic Falls. "We'll be home soon." Nik says and I sigh, thinking about the fact that we will be returning to Mystic Falls. 

"Good." Rebekah responds. "I'll see you then, brother. See you soon Amelia." 

"See you later Rebekah." I say and Nik hangs up the phone starting to walk back to the car. "We're returning to Mystic Falls?" I ask him as I put Jayden and Rocky in the back of the car.

I get in myself and he starts the car. "Yes, at least for a while." He says and then he grabs my hand. "I know you don't want to and I'm sorry, but I promise that once the Mystic Falls business is handled, we will move and live happily ever after as a family. Just like you want." He says and I smile.

"It's not all about not wanting to go. I'm just scared that something may happen to you." I say and Nik looked to me, grabbing both of my hands in his now.

"Nothing is going to happen to me. I promise." He says. "That would mean something happening to you and I would never let that occur." 

I nodded and placed a kiss on his lips. "Okay, but whatever happens, lets fight through it together." I say. "Not much for ourselves, but for Jayden. He needs both of his parents with him." 

We both look back at our sleeping son in his car seat. I'm scared that something may happen to Nik and in turn, I would be affected to. I now that if I'm the one to die or get hurt, Nik would always protect and care for Jayden, but I wouldn't Jayden to lose both of his parents.