46. Realization

Ladies, gentlemen, and my non-binary babes,
let me present to you the chapter you've all been waiting for.

Realization
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
In which Gog the builder can't fix this one
______________________________

   The first thing you thought about when you slowly began regaining consciousness, was how the hell you had lost it in the first place

The first thing you thought about when you slowly began regaining consciousness, was how the hell you had lost it in the first place. You didn't recall getting knocked out by someone, nor did you remember the moments before fainting. It was as if your body had just gone 'aight, Imma head out' without any sort of warning.

But it wasn't necessarily a bad thing you weren't awake. Because right now, as you were in some sort of in-between of being out cold and being awake, your thoughts slowly began collecting themselves together. You began to think again, something your body hadn't allowed you to when you had been in the van with Schlatt.

And the reason it allowed you to now, was because you didn't feel any anger. Or panic. You felt at peace, which is what you could expect when not being conscious.

You started remembering Schlatt's last words. How he had kept denying everything you had said, everything you had accused him of doing. In the heat of the moment, you had been too much in a trance to actually let his words sink in. And even if you hadn't, you doubted you would've believed him. But now that you looked back, you remembered the truthful tone in his voice and the confused look on his face that screamed 'I-genuinely-don't-know-what-the-heck-this-woman-is-talking-about'.

And that didn't make sense to you at all. He was Schlatt. He was a maniac, a hypocrite - if he had killed your friend, he would've admitted it proudly, not act like you were talking nonsense.

"I haven't killed anyone. The person who told you that is full of shit." He had said as you were about to kill him. That was one of the only things you could remember from the van. You were pretty good at telling whether or not people were lying, if you said so yourself. And looking back, you were afraid this might not have been the case. Maybe Schlatt hadn't been lying.

And that led you back to Dream.

It was him, who had told you the tragedy of your friend's death. Not Schlatt. It was Dream who had given you the amulet as proof to what he said was true. And him, who had shown you the compass didn't work when getting fused with that amulet.

The amulet was all the proof you needed to know that Dream had met your dying friend. But nothing proved that Schlatt had been the one doing the kill. You had just been so naive to believe what Dream had told you - because what would he obtain by lying about such a thing?

And of course, you just had to question Dreams credibility after you had gone completely crazy on Schlatt. Then again, the only reason you were able to do so now, was because the unquenchable fire that had burned inside of you ever since that conversation with Dream, simply didn't exist when you were unconscious. So now you just hoped this realization would stay with you when you woke up.