15. Tommy and Dream's duel

Tommy and Dream's duel
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
In which you're not pessimistic,
you're just realistic. Yes, there's a difference.
_________________________

- aytrixii on twitter

   Ever wondered what it's like to lose a friend? Well, if so, you could gladly share some knowledge of such situations, because you were about to lose one for the second time.

   You were sitting beside Tubbo and Fundy in the grass, as you eyed Tommy and Dream carefully. The two were standing on the wooden bridge, back faced to one another.

   It was evening, and time for Tommy and Dream's duel. The whole way here, Tommy hadn't really spoken to anyone - and you've been too busy calming Tubbo's nerves to start a conversation with him as well. You hadn't even wished him good luck.

   Everyone was very nervous on Tommy's behalf, but the most nervous one was of course the boy himself. You could see Tommy's shaking hand around his bow even from here. He looked like a mess, honestly. He has had little to no sleep lately, and his wounds from Dream's explosion hadn't fully healed.

   You hadn't tried to convince him not to go, once you had gotten back from your chat with Dream. He wouldn't have listened anyway, and besides - now you had made a deal with Dream, making sure that Tommy wouldn't ever fully die. You didn't know if he was a man of his word, but you sure hoped so.

   You weren't biting your nails or being busy ripping your own hair out like Tubbo was. After all, you were the only one smart enough to know what was going to happen. In about two minutes, Tommy would have Dream's arrow in his chest, dying for the second time. Well, you were the only one besides George, Sapnap, Punz and Eret, who all sat in the grass not so far away from you. They were sitting close to Dream, while you and your friends sat close to Tommy.

   "Come on Tommy, come on Tommy, come on Tommy..." You heard Tubbo whisper on repeat beside you, his hands folded in a praying manner. You felt really sorry for him. After all, he was about to watch his best friend die.

   Okay, you really didn't have any faith in Tommy. But you were just being realistic. Of course, if he somehow managed to win, then great! L'manburg would get independence, Tommy would have two lives, and he'd still have both of his discs. You doubted it, though.

   Wilbur was making the rules clear, before slowly counting down - Tommy and Dream took a step with each count.

   First now, your heartbeat sped up. You've watched your friends die once, and now you were about to witness it again. You just hoped that Dream would make it quick and painless. If he didn't, you would take it all out on Sapnap, playing pil with him against a tree. Maybe you'd even have George tag along this time.

Wilbur had gotten to three. Both Dream and Tommy took an arrow out.

"2" - They placed them on their bow, pulling it back, ready to aim.