Chapter 18 - A Little More Self-Care

Janus sat down across from Emile with a loud sigh.

He pushed his glasses up and looked over his phone. "Everything alright, Jan? How was class?"

He simply groaned and crossed his arms, his head softly hitting the table. "It wasn't."

Emile laughed. "I see."

"Hey, bitch." Remy sat down next to him, his back against the table and his sunglasses pushed down his nose so he could look over them, smirking. "I heard someone  had fun Friday night."

Janus didn't move, simply elbowing him in the side. "We didn't do anything, you asshole, fuck off."

He simply cackled, taking a sip of his drink. "Sure, sure whatever you say."

He raised his head. "I swear-"

"Although I do want to point out I was talking about Virge and Remus, so it's good to hear you have a life, too." He grinned and swung his feet around so that he was facing the right direction, ignoring Janus' protests. "What are you guys talking about?"

"Class," Emile answered simply, setting down his phone.

"The bane of our collective existence." He shook his head as Janus hid his own face. "Are you going to the dance, Emile?"

"Probably. I was planning on going with Logan, though."

"Cool, cool."

The conversation continued for a few more minutes until a third voice piped up. "Is this seat taken?"

Janus raised his head and saw Virgil standing at the edge of the table, pointing at the empty space next to Emile. Janus shook his head as Emile moved over a bit. "It's all yours."

Virgil nodded and sat down, resting his bag on the floor. He looked briefly at Janus and offered the smallest possible smile. He returned it before glancing at Remy.

"...do you know how stupid half of these classes are? When would I need to know how to factor out  polynomial. That shit is dumb. I don't care." He shrugged angrily. "Shouldn't be mandatory."

"Having a lot of general knowledge is good, though, Remy." Emile tilted his head. "Though I will admit, chords and radians do seem quite specific to force kids to learn."

"See? Even Emmy agrees with me." He thought for a second. "If I can't be taught the entirety of the lesson in a week, it's dumb. Either too complex or too lengthy. It's just rules. It's all unbreakable rules." Janus rolled his eyes, used to Remy's anti-schoolwork tangents by now. He continued, having set down the drink in order not to spill the precious caffeine-injected liquid. "Like, sure. Just tell me that there's this rule, and it does this. Great. But for the love of god, do not make me practice it two weeks in a row. I got it on the second day, I don't need another twelve days of this bullshit."

Eventually, Remus and Logan showed up - Logan with a small nod, and Remus with a 'Hey, sexy,' to Virgil while sitting close enough to him to make the chair jealous. Virgil blushed and hid his face, although Janus could see the small smile from behind his hands. 

"We are both done with our contributions for the school and mall, correct?" Logan asked.

"Uh, yep. I am, anyway. Why?"

"Then why is Virgil here?" Logan nodded to the short, edgy boy.

"I mean, aside form the fact that Remus has fallen for him, and hard from the looks of it," he laughed, "I think Roman and Remus are getting less touchy about intersections between their friends."

"Is this because of you kissing him?"

Janus scoffed and crossed his arms, turning away. "No." He paused. "Maybe. What's it to you?" he muttered defensively.

"Oh, nothing, nothing," Logan smiled as he opened his computer and started working on an essay for English.

"No. Not nothing, nothing. Why do you care, Logan?"

"I do not care, Janus. I am extremely apathetic; you know this." He adjusted his glasses. "That being said, I do find some form of joy that you have found a partner that fits your standards, and I am quite happy for you."

"Sure, nerd," Janus hissed, laughing despite his words. "Thanks, I guess."

"You are most welcome."