Chapter 9 - Everything About This

Virgil blinked himself awake, shifting a bit. He lifted his head off Roman's shoulder, rubbing his eyes and just catching a glimpse of who his friend was texting. 'Janus'. 

He chose to ignore it. Probably nothing.

"Good morning, Aurora," Roman whispered, planting a kiss on Virgil's head.

"Oh, shut up," Virgil hissed, squirming out from under the blanket. He checked his own phone, making sure no one texted him while he was out, before slipping it back into his pocket. "How long was I asleep?"

"Not long, maybe half an hour."

Virgil groaned. "I wish I could sleep for a week. The dysphoria is making me go insane."

"Do you want to go on a walk? Get some fresh air?"

"Sure, Princey. Sure." Virgil sent Patton a text, knowing the boy would also check it when he woke up. They wouldn't be gone for long, anyway. The pair found their shoes and made their way out of the house. "What did you two do while I was at work?" he asked calmly.

"Mmm, not much, just nails and Disney."

"Lemme see." Virgil motioned for Roman to show him his hand and he stopped walking so he could inspect the nails. They were red , with small white stripes going diagonally across each of them. "Very cute, Candy Cane," he muttered.

"I quite like them, Gerard Gay."

"Mmm." They crossed the street and walked to the playground that was around a block from Patton's house, sitting on the abandoned swings. "Remember when we used to play here?" Virgil laughed.

"Like it was yesterday." Virgil watched as Roman kicked his feet, swinging a bit.

The shorter boy thought for a second. "Roman?" he asked quietly.

"Yes?"

"I, uh..." Virgil hesitated for a second. "Why were you texting Janus?" he muttered quietly.

Roman paused. "He agreed to do tech. I figured it would be good for him to have my number if he needed anything."

"Oh. Okay." An uneasy feeling settled in his stomach.

"Is something wrong?"

"No! I mean, sorta, but it's...it's fine." Virgil swung his feet, pulling his sleeves down past his hands and kicking around the mulch. 

He heard Roman jump off his own swing and come to kneel in front of him, grabbing his hands over the thick fabric. "Tell me what's wrong, Virge."

"It's nothing, Ro. Honestly."

"Please." Virgil glanced up into Roman's eyes, which were wide and pleading. He glanced away, frowning. "You're important to me, Virgil. I want to know if there's something you need me to do."

"It's just awkward," he blurted out.

"How?" he asked gently.

"I-" He took a breath. "Last time I saw him, I was a girl, right?"

"Mmhmm."

"And I just- I'm worried that he's going to...think I'm still  a girl."

Roman thought for a second. "You don't have to tell him, you know."

"I-I know that. I think. But I'm just... I'm scared he'll find out, Ro." Virgil pulled his knees up to his chest. "He was a jerk back then, and I don't want to give him another reason to hurt someone."

"Okay." Roman nodded. "Okay. Those are valid." Virgil just groaned and hid his face in his arms. "But I'm not going to let him hurt you, or any of our friends, okay?" Another groan. "Prince's honour." 

That earned a small, watery laugh. "You're such a nerd."

"I am a prince, Virge." He stood up. "In all seriousness, though, I'm going to try to figure out if he's transphobic or not."

"You really don't have to do that, Ro-"

"Nonsense. If this is what it takes for you to be comfortable, then I shall do it." He bowed to Virgil, making him smile a bit. "If the guileful guy does happen to hurt you in any way, I shall make it my solemn duty to beat his solemn ass."

Virgil nodded, putting on a smile. "Thank you, Roman," he whispered.

I Thought I Loved You Yesterday [Roceit High School AU]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें