Chapter 5 - Lights Up

Roman was packing up his things, pulling his jacket on and humming as Patton and Virgil were discussing props. He pulled his backpack onto one of his shoulder and followed the other two out before Sanders stopped him, shouting his name. He waved for the others to go on ahead and he glanced at his director. "What's up?"

"Roman, Roman, Roman...you know a lot of people, right?"

He tilted his head. "I know a few."

"Right, so...you remember how some of the techs were going to be out of town performance week?"

"Mmhmm." He nodded.

"I was wondering if you know anyone that might be willing to come do tech."

"Alright. I can ask around." He turned to go before stopping. "How many do you need?"

"One or two, not many If they know how to work curtain and mic, they're good."

"Cool, cool, cool." He grinned. "I'll ask around, see if anyone's interested."

"Thank you, Roman."

"No problem, Mr. Sanders."

"You can call me Thomas, kid, there's no need for formality."

He nodded. "No problem, Thomas." He walked out of the theater and caught up with his friends.

"What did Sanders want?" Virgil asked, flicking his hair out of his eyes.

"We're going to need some new techs."

"Maybe you could talk to Janus," Patton suggested.

Roman glanced at his friend, surprised. "What do you mean?"

"Remy told me that he has to help out at extracurricular for six hours as a 'punishment'." He shrugged. "Might as well ask him."

"No. No, no, no, you are not doing that," Virgil grumbled.

"Come on, Virge, the more techs there are the less stressed you have to be," Roman pointed out.

"I guess. Just don't make me talk to him."

"Fine." Roman frowned. "Wait a second. What about Remus?"

Patton spoke up. "He's got detention-"

"No, I mean - like the friend group thing."

"Oh." Patton shrugged. "I mean, after the shows it's not like you'd ever talk to him again. I don't really see an issue here."

Roman nodded absently. "I'll think about it."

He parted ways and walked to his car, mind racing. He did tell Sanders that he'd try to find some techs, and it wasn't like there was anyone who was free to do it. Remy bounced between so many friend groups that all of his time was taken up, so he was out. And Virgil and Patton were already in the cast and in tech, so they were off the table. Remus was too chaotic.

"Hey there, brother dearest." Roman groaned as the devil he'd just spoken off jumped off the hood of the car. "Let's go, it's freezing."

He unlocked the doors and got into the driver's seat, tossing his backpack in the back and waiting for Remus to get in before putting on his seat belt and turning on the car, pull out of the parking spot and driving home.

"So, shithead," Roman started. "Janus."

Remus pulled out his phone. "What about him?"

"Pat told me he's gotta do some sort of extracurricular to make up for the shit you pulled on Saturday?"

"Nosy much?" He tossed his feet onto the dashboard. "Yeah, he does."

"Cool."

Remus slowly looked at Roman. "Why do you want to know?" he asked suspiciously.

"No reason." Roman stopped at a red light and glanced down at his brother.

He went back to his phone. "You better not do anything stupid, young man."

"I won't." He started driving again as the light turned green. "At least I hope not," he whispered under his breath.