29 ~ Reconciling Pt. 2

[ Miguel's POV ]

It was the day after Sam and I ran into Robby and Tory at the grill and I could tell Sam was still a little shaken up over it, but I tried my best to not make it seem like a big deal. I walked into school and met Sam at her locker and then soon after Demetri joined us.

"Hey man how's life been treating ya," he said giving me a high five.

"Things are still pretty crazy, but I'm just happy we all don't hate each other for once."

As soon as I said that, we saw Hawk walking up to us and Demetri turned to him.

"You've got that right," he said looking at Hawk and I furrowed my brows a little, but just brushed it off.

Then we saw Brett coming from the other end of the hall and I could see Hawk tense up a little bit so I put my hand on his shoulder trying to relax him. I really didn't know what was going on between well... anyone at this point, but he seemed a little distraught by his presence so I wanted him to be comfortable.

"Hey guys how's it poppin!" Brett said with his arms out, strutting up to us in his usual confident and cool manner.

Hawk smiled softly at him and it seemed like something was up, but as long as Hawk wasn't mad it seemed pretty safe. I could see Demetri step slightly closer to Hawk with Brett's entrance so I was a bit worried that something had gone down, but no punches were being thrown so that was always a good sign.

The bell started ringing and we all went off in our usual groups so I took that as my chance to figure out what was going on.

"Yo dude what was that all about?"

"What was what... all about?"

"Come on don't play dumb with me you know I see a l l," said in a comedic tone.

"You're insufferable sometimes you know that?"

"I try I try," I say bowing.

"Alright well remember how there was someone I liked way before Brett and I started whatever we were doing?"

"Yeah yeah the mystery man."

"Well I kinda told him everything basically, but it was right after Brett was at my house and we had been... you get the picture and so I know him and I were never a thing so there's nothing to feel guilty about, but I just don't want to let him down."

I was stunned and couldn't help, but let out a small laugh at how insane our lives really were.

"Not to get all lovey dovey, but that takes guts. I'm really proud of you dude," I said hitting his back a little.

"Thanks," he said, still looking upset.

I knew he had a lot on his mind and I didn't want to press him any farther, so I just put my arm around him as we walked silently the rest of the way to class.

[ Hawk's POV ]

It was now lunch and I hadn't talked to Brett much today since we had our test during 1st period, but I wanted to meet up with him during our free time and discuss everything that had gone down. I wasn't exactly sure how he was going to take it, but I just needed him to know that I still wanted to be friends.

I walked over to where he was sitting and gently tapped on his shoulder.

"Hey can we talk?"

"Yeah of course man, sit down, sit down."

"Could we... go somewhere else?"

Brett had a worried look on his face, but followed me out of the cafeteria. We found ourselves in an empty hallway, but to be extra cautious I dragged him into a nearby janitor's closet. I was getting even more anxious by the second, but I knew this had to be done in order for everyone to be happy.