14 ~ Brett Sikes

*The next day, at school*

[ Hawk's POV ]

Miguel and I walked into school together and then I noticed Demetri and Sam talking by her locker. I knew Miguel would want to say hi to them so I took a couple deep breaths as we walked closer and closer.

There was an unfamiliar face talking to them. He was tall and had dark brown hair and light green eyes. He was pretty muscular so he might've been someone from Miyagi-Do that I had never noticed before, but i couldn't tell.

"Hey guys what's up!" Miguel said once we were finally in earshot of the three of them.

I saw Demetri smile at him, but then his expression quickly changed when he saw that I was there too.

"Hey babe," Sam said as Miguel wrapped his arm around her waist and kissed the top of her head.

I was now awkwardly standing next to Demetri hoping he wouldn't say something stupid. I couldn't take my eyes off of this new kid though. He was standing pretty close to Demetri which made me feel weird for some reason.

"So who's this guy," I said pointing directly at the dark haired boy in front of me.

"Oh sorry man, I'm Brett. I'm new and Demetri was showing me around," he raised his eyebrows at me in a seductive manner.

Was this what flirting looked like? Or was my ego just too high?

He stretched his arm out to me expecting me to shake his hand, but I just stared at him until he put it down. He lifted it back up to his head awkwardly scratching the back of it.

"I like your hair man. It's sick."

"Yeah. That's the point."

"Okkkkk, well I gotta get to class so I'll see you later," he said looking in Demetri's direction. I rolled my eyes.

"And it was uh... nice meeting you guys."

I watched him walk away, but then quickly realized that Sam, Miguel, and Demetri were all staring at me. I looked up at Demetri first and then quickly shifted my glance to Sam and Miguel.

"What?"

"Do you always have to be so rude?" Sam asked.

God she had such a punchable face.

"I was just being myself."

"Exactly."

"HEY! Watc-" Miguel stood in between me and Sam and faced me.

"Hey man just breathe it's ok."

I took a deep breath, embarrassed that Demetri saw that whole thing. I knew I should've just stayed calm, but didn't want that guy thinking it was ok to just appear and think we were all cool.

Miguel put his hand on my shoulder and slightly nodded at me signaling that it was ok.

"I think we're gonna head to class now guys," he said to Sam and Demetri. He fist bumped Demetri and kissed Sam on the forehead.

I could tell Demetri was looking at me, but I didn't want it to see like I cared, so I just looked in the other direction.

Miguel and I started walking away from them and he laughed a little bit.

"What's your problem?" I said nudging his arm.

"That guy was cute."

"Dude lower your voice."

Miguel laughed a little again.

"It seemed like he liked you," Miguel said now whispering.

"Ok and? Why would I care."

"What? I'm just saying... I can be your wingman."

I rolled my eyes, but gave in a little bit and chuckled under my breath. We both arrived at our classes which were across from each other and nodded to say our goodbyes.

As soon as I stepped in though, I noticed Brett sitting right next to my normal spot. Jackass, I thought to myself.

I walked over to my seat trying to assert my dominance to maybe scare him into not talking to me, but he started a conversation right when I sat down.

"Oh hey again dude. Sorry about earlier, I didn't want to make you uncomfortable."

Shit. He's really nice. I still didn't want to come off as friendly though after he just came onto my friends like he was one of us.

"So... what's your name?" He asked, turning his head to face me.

"It's Hawk," I said coldly.

"Dude. You have the coolest hair ever AND your name is Hawk. That seems awesome."

I started fiddling through my backpack to find a pencil.

"Yeah, I guess."

He was watching me as I struggled finding what I needed and eventually I gave up realizing I didn't bring one with me. Idiot.

Without saying a word he bent over and grabbed an extra pencil from his bag. He put it on my desk and took his notebook out to start taking notes.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

I smiled a little, but then hid it immediately when I realized. I started writing down notes and glanced over every once in a while, just to see if I was copying down the same stuff as him. Yeah. That's all.

Once class ended I grabbed all my things and gave him back the pencil.

"Keep it," he said smiling at me.

"Some people come to class prepared, you know. So I have tons to spare," he winked at me and I could feel my cheeks turning a little warm.

"Uh... yeah... thanks man," I said, stumbling over my words.

He chuckled a little and then started walking away.

"See you man."

Before I could respond he was gone and I saw Miguel standing in the door frame waiting for me. I walked over to him and he put his arm around my shoulder laughing.

"Smooth," he said, pushing me around a little bit.

"Shut up," I said and we walked to our next class together.