Chapter 9: Sorrow Reunion

"Mmph... Mmph! Come on!" Spe-7 says as she attempts to get some- any arc energy out, but it's no use. A few days had passed since the Traveler was imprisoned by Ghaul and his Red Legion, and the Tower was long lost.

"Whatever the Red Legion did... It must have stripped us of our light..." Suzuka mumbles.

"We can still heal you, but we guardians are no longer immortal..." Fang says worriedly. It's then that it hits the two that Taiki-9 never returned.

"What if... No... No no no no no... Don't tell me..." Spe-7 begins sputtering.

"Taiki's a tough guy... Or bot... He'll live." Hawthorne replies, putting a hand on Spe-7's shoulder. "You two are with a guy who's apparently killed gods, what's a cabal king going to do to him?"

"He was heading onto their command ship from the last time we remember..." Suzuka says as her eyes start rapidly moving around. "You don't think he could have fallen to his death... Could he?"

"Well let's hope not. Our best bet is to head out with the local reconnaissance team. They do all the patrolling we need to do outside of the farm to make sure nothing gets to people at the Farm." Hawthorne says. "Actually, I was just about to head out there and check things out myself. Wanna come along? Maybe we'll find your exo buddy out there."

"If it means finding Taiki, then yes, let's go." Spe-7 says as she and Suzuka follow Hawthorne.

"Your weapons will actually help us out quite a lot." Hawthorne says as the three reach a ship. The ship looks like it was built singlehandedly by one person, and Hawthorne looks upon it proudly.

"I used to have a shotgun on me but it only did me good for so long. We needed different weapons." Spe-7 replies.

"Well that and we kept running out of ammo for them." Suzuka adds.

"Well either way that should be enough to deal with whatever baddies are out there." Hawthorne replies. "Hop in, there's enough room for all three of us." And with that the three hop inside the ship. As it takes off Spe-7 and Suzuka are treated to a somewhat glorious view of the area outside of the Farm but they're also treated to the sight of the ruined Tower, with cabal ships all over the place and where vanguard banners once flew the Red Legion placed it's own.

"Those cabal are so going to get it one day." Spe-7 grumbles to herself, balling her hands into fists, until a feathered friend nuzzles her. "Hm? Who's this?"

"Oh that's my falcon, Louis." Hawthorne chuckles. "He's a trusty companion, even trained him to search for any lost people and lead them to me. Don't worry you two, we'll find Taiki in no time." And with that the three land in a fairly fortified area where others are waiting for orders. "All right everyone listen up! We've got a case of a missing guardian, word from our two friends here, he's fallen somewhere in this area. Gonna need you guys to get into the designated zones, clear out anything you see, the usual! Louis will be our eyes in the sky, let's get moving!"

"Spe-chan, stick with me. I don't want to lose you." Suzuka says as Louis is sent out and the equine guardians move out with a search team with rifles at the ready. Unsurprisingly a group of Fallen can be seen off in the distance, and Spe-7 is about to fire when Suzuka stops her.

"What? I wanted to shoot them!" Spe-7 whines.

"Not when we don't have our light to revive us." Suzuka replies sternly. "If we die, we won't come back."

"Aww... Okay." Spe-7 says as she lowers her weapon and continues searching for Taiki. "He can't have fallen too far off."

"I mean the command ship was above here last time I remember." Suzuka replies. "But then again that was just my judgement."

"Look out!" A voice shouts as a group of dregs attempts to attack the search team. Unfortunately for the dregs they're met with a hailstorm of bullets from the humans, distracting them enough for the equine guardians to get up close and drop kick them into submission.

"Geez... Even without the light you still beat the living shit out of them." One of the search team members says.

"They say they have the strength of a racing horse." Hawthorne replies. "Guess they weren't lying when they told me that."

"Wha?! When did you get here?!" Spe-7 asks. "I thought you were back at the establishment!"

"I have my ways." Hawthorne laughs. "It's how I like to surprise people. Hopefully Louis is luring Taiki over to us."

"I hope so too." Suzuka replies. That's when she hears the sound of a falcon's cry, Louis is nearby! "And it sounds like he found something." Their suspicions are confirmed when they see a certain exo attempt to make a jump to the area that Louis is sitting on- only to fail because they don't have their light.

"Oh fuck meeeeeeeeeeee-" His scream is cut off as he faceplants on the ground with a terrifying crash that makes everyone cringe.

"That sounded like it hurt." Spe-7 says sheepishly.

"I'm pretty sure it did." Suzuka replies. "Is he even moving?"

"Eh, he'll be fine once he regains consciousness." Hawthorne chuckles. "Come on, let's go help your friend get back to his senses."