Chapter 7: On The Verge Of Collapse

"Remember when I said that you fly too fast? Forget I said that, FLY FAST!"

That was the last thing Taiki-9 heard before he suddenly puts his ship's engines into overdrive, with Suzuka not too far behind.

"Not even a few days and something happens!" Spe-7 shouts. "What's going on?!"

"Something's launched an all out assault on the Last City!" Taiki replies. "We gotta get there quickly!"

"Taiki watch out! You've got a missile locked on you!" Suzuka cries out but it's too late as the missile tracking Taiki's ship splits into multiple and obliterates it. "OH MY GOD!" Taiki is sent flying by the explosion and he lands on a part of the city walls that's been blasted open by whatever's been attacking.

"Suzuka! We've got a missile heading right for us!" Spe-7 shouts, and the two quickly bail out of their ship, landing right next to Taiki.

"Man, I didn't think we could make that jump..." Suzuka says, shaken by the feat she just performed.

"So that's how the light's enhanced your mobility..." Taiki mumbles. "Come on, we need to find Zavala, or any of the vanguard really." And with that the equine guardians follow close behind the exo, guns at the ready. It's not long before they meet up with their opposition in the form of a hulking, mostly red and black armored behemoth with an arm blade and a gigantic shotgun that it wields effortlessly with one hand. It's eyes almost appear to glow as it spots the trio and it charges! "CABAL!" He screams as he's about to open fire with his guns- only for the red monster to slash at him with it's arm blade. Taiki's shields nearly break as Suzuka retaliates with her own blade, taking down the behemoth before it can do anything else. "Gah... That one really hurt..."

"Are you okay?!" Spe-7 shouts.

"Ouch... What the hell are cabal doing here? We never anticipated that they would make a move like this!" Taiki grumbles as Ghost regenerates his shields. "If they're here, something tells me they brought the entire empire on our asses. Quickly!" He says as the trio rushes through the ruined area.

"Wait... Do the cabal act differently than this?" Suzuka asks.

"Normally Cabal simply outright destroy planets that are in their way, they don't do normal conquering like this... What in the world are they planning?" Taiki mumbles. "No... What the hell do they want from us?"

"This is commander Zavala! Everyone get to the evac points! Guardians, we will fight to the bitter end to protect the city!" Zavala's voice cries out through Ghost.

"We gotta move fast!" Taiki says as they head up some stairs to find Cayde.

"Hey! Give me one second!" Cayde says as he summons his super- golden gun- and obliterates the legionaries trying to shish-kabob him. "You guys go meet up with big blue! Me, I've got a date with whoever's behind this. It'll be a short date!" And with that he dashes off to find the one responsible.

"Let's get up there." Taiki says as Spe-7 and Suzuka follow him. There they meet Lord Shaxx, who's been tending to the wounded just along the walls.

"Titan! What in the world happened to you?!" Shaxx asks, and it's then that Taiki realizes that the legionary left a nasty slash mark on his armor from the blade.

"Cabal." Taiki says.

"Well you could all use some better guns, my armory is open to you! If the cabal want war, then we'll give them war!" Shaxx replies as he forces the doors to his armory open where the trio finds guns on top of guns.

"Thank you!" Suzuka calls out as she ditches some of her old weapons and grabs a better looking auto rifle and and a sidearm, keeping her sword in the process. Spe-7 proceeds to do the same but Taiki keeps his weapons as he's already fully armed. As the trio rush out into the ruined hangar they see just what's happened with the cabal and they see something strange on the traveler.

"What in the name of the traveler are they doing? Is that their command ship?" Taiki mumbles.

"These guys are coming up as "Red Legion", never heard of them." Cayde's voice says through Ghost.

"These are the elites. They're ruthless and rumor has it they've never known defeat." Ikora's voice says.

"Until today, today they face guardians." Zavala's voice comes out sternly.

"But Zavala the traveler-" Ikora is cut off.

"The traveler can wait. We protect our people at all costs!" Zavala shouts before the comms are cut. Eventually the trio makes their way up to the ruined plaza where they see just what's on the traveler.

"What are they doing to it?" Suzuka asks, but suddenly Taiki pushes her and Spe-7 into a ward of dawn that Zavala has put up before getting inside himself- where they once stood a barrage of missiles bombards the area and cabal ripper pods crash down.

"Thank the light you got here!" Zavala says as he continues to hold the ward of dawn. "What happened to you though?" He asks as Taiki occasionally peeks out of the ward to fire upon the cabal.

"Had a... Rough reentry." Taiki says as he manages to blast a legionary's helmet off with his scout rifle. "As did they."

"Well we must hold this place until the last of the evac shuttles can take off." Zavala replies. "I can only hold this for so long!"

"Then let's go kill some cabal!" Spe-7 shouts as she and Suzuka rush out along with Taiki to take on the attacking force.