Chapter XXI: Say you won't let go

Author's note: TRIGGER WARNING! This chapter contains topics such as depression, suicide & abuse which some readers might find disturbing.

XX--------------------XX

Jeongyeon's just 17 and in someone else's house at 7:00 pm.

"will you parents come home soon?" Jeongyeon asked looking around the house.

"No," The woman shook her head.

Jeongyeon didn't ask anymore. Maybe because she is in the same situation. Her mother left them, and whenever people ask more, she felt even more painful to answer.

She looked at the woman she saw in the rain, Nayeon. Wet from the rain and eyes bloodshot. She was always bright and lovely-Jeongyeon just assumed that she had a perfect life to be able to smile like that.

"are you okay?" She asked.

Nayeon nodded, "I-I'm fine.. Just had a phobia of the rain.."

"oh." Jeongyeon says.

"Thanks for Taking care of me and taking me home," Nayeon starts, "even though we're not even that close."

This is around the time that Her and Nayeon had only common friends and never that close. They exchange a few greetings and was introduced to each other recently but never had a personal conversation.

Yet, she had already been seeing her for a long time. She knew her locker area, passing by every morning, she got to see her and hear her cheerful voice and in every school occasion, she would look for her.

"It's okay, Just had a spare time that's all,"Jeongyeon says. "You shouldn't let anyone you're not even close come in to your house you know, Take care more."

"I don't." Nayeon says, "But.. you just feel really safe."

"me?" Jeongyeon asked. They're not even that close but she wonders why Nayeon would say that.

"I saw you stop a man dragging your drunk hoobae in the party," Nayeon says remembering her amusement, "at the end of the day, you always make sure that everyone is safe."

Jeongyeon stopped and looked at Nayeon. Aparently, the fact that this beautiful unattainable woman is paying attention to the things she does made her stomach flipped and her cheeks to burn red.

"Well, I'm not being nice to you just because I am," Jeongyeon bit her lip, "Maybe I had a bit of selfish inentions."

At that moment, she realized she had been crushing on this person for a year now. Nayeon gave her a questioning look but Jeongyeon just chuckled and said, "never mind."

Jeongyeon woke up in the memory back when they're both 17 and young. When they didn't know what love was and how it felt. She saw Nayeon sitting up already in the bed, staring blankly.

"Nayeon?" She scooted over to the latter.

She bit her lip as she rubs her temple, "What have we done Jeongyeon?"

Jeongyeon looked down. The memories of last night flashed in her head. Yes. What have they done? They'll be friends now, right? That's what they decide to do and they messed it up again.

She look at Nayeon, eyes bloodshot.. looking like the Nayeon she saw in her dreams. Her heart ached.

"Nayeon, I'm sorry." Jeongyeon says. "I.. should've.. left last night."