Part 4 The Big Announcement

Nathan's POV:

At my house, Raya and I are watching a film that's when I hear my phone going off, the ringtone's jingle just playing away, I pull my phone out of my jean pocket and answer the phone call, it's Jules, I accept the call and put the phone to my ear, "hello Julian everything okay bro?" I say "yeah everything's great we've got some news though," says Julian "oh right," I say almost confused as to what the hell's just happened, but that's when I hear an almost euphoric Livvy shout "get Raya I think she'll want to hear this too!". I turn my head around to Raya and summon her up, Raya gets up "what's up?" asks Raya, I shrug my shoulders and put on speakerphone. "Right go on," I say to Julian "right so tonight I asked Livvy a question," says Julian "right," I say looking at Raya who is equally as confused as I am, Julian then goes on to say "so Nathan how do you feel about having a sister in law?" and before I have chance to answer Julian's question, Raya snatches the phone out of my hand "are you guys getting married?" shrieks Raya "yeah" laughs Julian "oh my god..." I say "congratulations guys I'm so happy for you both!" says Raya she's as euphoric as Livvy and she's not the one getting married "thanks Raya can you put Nathan back on please?" says Julian, Raya handed me my phone back "so what do you think bro?" "I'm happy for you guys I really am," I say "I'm glad," says Julian "we're thinking in three weeks of celebrating with the family so you, Ruby, Raya, our auntie Vicky and Sonia, uncle Andrew and James, as well as most of Livvy's family" "that sounds great but I think if you're doing that you've got to invite dad haven't you?" I say "sadly yes Nathan I mean if we don't and it goes back to him I'm in the shit" says Julian "yeah but no offence bro you know what he's like he'll only look over, make a fuss hang around you and Livvy like a bad smell and then fuck off and spend his money on the fruit machines" I say "Nathan as long as he's on the fruit machines he's not hurting no one" says Julian, I just shake my head "yeah I guess so" I say "just ignore him Nate you're better than that" says Livvy "I know Livvy, well I'll look forward to seeing you both next week" I say "alright then bro congratulations again" "thanks Nate take care" says Julian "you too" I say and the phone hung up.

Raya looks at me "what's up babe?" "nothing just I'm happy for them Nathan," says Raya "yeah I am too," I say sitting down on the settee "but it's your dad coming to the engagement party isn't it?" says Raya, putting her arm around me, I look at her before looking to the floor my head nodding, "yes," I say "Nate babe remember when Levi died a year ago and I didn't want to get out that car?" says Raya "yeah," I say "who was the reason I got my ass in that church that day?" says Raya "yeah I know it was me but..." I say before Raya interrupts "but nothing listen, babe, I know he's like my dad and I can believe he's an asshole but don't let Julian and Livvy down just because you don't see eye to eye and for all you know he might not even turn up but as long as we're there they will have an amazing engagement party" says Raya with a smile, I look at her and smile back "you're probably right babe" I say "come here" I gently grab her face and start kissing her, it's amazing how she knows what to say and how to say it. 

"Nate," says Raya "yeah babe?" I say "I'm going to have to get back home soon," says Raya I check the time it's just gone 6 pm "yeah you're right I think I'll just throw a top on and you get changed back into your jeans and tee-shirt," I say I get my tee-shirt and put it on.

Raya's POV: 

Since hearing the news that Nathan's dad could be coming to Julian and Livvy's engagement party in the next three weeks, I just want to get dressed for going home really slowly, I slip my jeans over my naked legs, jumping into them and trying to squeeze my ass into them as best I can. I take off the hoodie Nathan gave me and put on my bra and black "Be Kind" slogan top back on, before grabbing my marble-look coat and putting on a pair of Nike hightops, with everything I put on my eyes aligned with Nathan who I could tell was shaking with dread. 

I mean I know Nathan's past very well, the fact he wasn't brought up in the best of home situations where dad beat his wife and two little boys had to watch as the bloke did so I mean I know family's family but some parents aren't parents they are just biological people to you, I know that sounds really depressing but sometimes it's the truth. My Dad and Sally were as bad as each other but Nathan's situation is bigger than mine. Nathan's situation would be a dad who shouldn't even be existing on planet Earth and a mother who's no longer here. I suppose one of the life lessons Nathan learned was I don't want to be like "Daddy Dearest" and I don't think he ever could be, my eyes feel soft to the point they almost have that stinging feeling the type you get when you've been cutting onions or after trying to hold back tears, chin up babe as this engagement party isn't about your dad this is about Julian and Livvy.

I hear Nathan picking his car keys up "Raya?" says Nathan, I shake myself out of the pity party I am in of Nathan's life "Raya?" "yeah sorry I was in my own little world then" I say, still almost enticed in this pity party "it's okay, babe you ready to go?" says Nathan, "yeah let's go," I say as I get up from the sofa and follow Nathan from the living room, to the bottom of the stairs, out the front door to make our way to the car.