The Ring

I laid in the rubble, dust fogging up my vision and my ears still ringing from the impact. I groaned in discomfort as I rolled over to find Clarke. My body ached and my head pounded as I struggled to get to my feet. Everything moved in slow motion as I came back to reality. My hearing snapped back as Clarke pulled me up from the ground.

"Run. Run!" she yelled urgently, dragging me up and away from the sight of the explosion.

I quickly snapped out of my trance and listened, picking up my pace sprinting alongside Clarke. What the heck was that thing? I wondered as we ran along. It was not like any gun I had ever seen and it had blown up the whole ridge we had been perched on. I slowed down my pace when I realized Clarke was trailing behind me, bent over. Her hand was holding a spot on her stomach.

"Clarke?" I stopped running to go to her.

She moved her hand to reveal black blood soaking her shirt around a fresh wound. I winced out loud at her injury knowing it hurt. I put my hand to it to try and stop the bleeding.

"You're hurt, lay down let me help" I ordered her, starting to rip a piece of my shirt to tie around her waist.

I tried to push her down so I could help her and stop the bleeding but she pushed me back, refusing to stop moving.

"We have to hide you Jamie. Come on, let's go to the cave, it's only a little further" she insisted.

I looked at her worriedly.

"I'm fine Jame, come on" she responded to my hesitation.

I took a final look into her eyes making sure she was okay. I knew she was hurt but I also knew she wouldn't stop for anything so I listened. I took her hand and helped hurry her along as we continued to run towards the cave. When we got there, Clarke bent over catching her breath and holding her wound.

"I'll lead them away just stay here. Don't leave ok? I'm gonna come back for you. I promise" she said, cupping my cheek with her hand.

I nodded, holding back tears that threatened to fall. I put my hand over her hand before wrapping my arms around her and pulling her into a hug.

"Please come back" I whispered to her.

She nodded and left, limping as she ran away. I let my tears fall and retreated into the cave, wiping them away as they fell. I knew she was just trying to protect me but I wished she would protect herself too. My mind swirled with thoughts. What if they caught her? What would they do with her? It's my fault. I tried desperately to push them out but they kept coming and coming, getting worse and worse as my heart started to pound. My thoughts were overwhelming me again. I struggled to catch my breath and I held my head as it pounded with threatening thoughts. I remembered what Clarke said. I counted to ten and listed the people I loved. Echo. Clarke. My breathing calmed just a little. It was working. Mom. At the thought of my mom my breathing quickened again as my mind took me to a flashback. Clarke was protecting me the same way my mother had tried to the morning Nia took me.

Nia appeared in front of me. I scrambled to the back of the cave but the back had become a cliff overlooking a fiery pit. I looked back in front of me to see Nia approaching me with a menacing look in her eyes.

"We meet again" she spat as she towered over me, "unfortunately."

I looked from the cliff to her, panicking.

"Well, well, well, I see you find yourself in a similar position as you did the day I saved you from your family. Only this time, it's Clarke that will die for you, not your mother" she teased.