Chapter Forty

»»———— LOYALTY ————««

After burying Dobby, Harry spoke with Griphook about why Bellatrix thought the sword was in her vault. He revealed that there was, indeed, a Sword of Gryffindor in her vault, but it was fake. They had the real one. Harry recognized how worried Bellatrix was about her fault, so they decided to infiltrate it in order to see if there was maybe another Horcrux inside it. They constructed a plan with Griphook's help. But they didn't set it in action until they spoke with Ollivander about Draco and Bellatrix's wand, and about the Deathly Hallows. He told them about the Elder Wand, which he revealed to them how powerful the wand truly was. He told them if Voldemort acquired it, they stood no chance. But Harry didn't lose hope, despite having seen Voldemort steal it from Dumbledore's grave through a vision. By using Polyjuice Potion to pretend to be Bellatrix, Lolita got them into the vault. Not without some unexpected trouble, though. Nonetheless, they found the fourth Horcrux in Bellatrix's vault, it being Helga Hufflepuff's cup. But, they had agreed to give Griphook the Sword of Gryffindor in return for his help to break into Gringott's. So, they needed a way to destroy it. That was a common problem they ran into. Still, Harry had seen something that told him three things: Voldemort was affected by their desecration of the Horcruxes and was onto them, the next Horcrux was in Hogwarts, and it had something to do with Rowena Ravenclaw.

Val, Draco, Narcissa, and Lucius stood in the foyer with their heads hung low as Voldemort had just massacred the entirety of the Gringott's personnel who had allowed the others to break in. They'd never seen him so angry before, yet he had been extremely wrathful towards the Malfoys since the battle at the Department of Mysteries. There was something wrong with him, almost as if he were wounded. Val knew they were being successful in destroying the Horcruxes, and it was working. Lolita hadn't told her exactly how many they'd found and, or destroyed, but either way, she was pleased with the results. Though, at the moment, she was terrified of him. She knew he wouldn't kill her because he valued her. He never addressed her in his wrath. And he knew she was extremely powerful and she played her act well, so he found her to be irreplaceable. That was what kept the Malfoys safe, and they were beginning to realize it.

She felt Draco's grip around her tighten as they watched Voldemort step calmly through the foyer, speaking in Parseltongue to Nagini. He was whispering about how Harry had found everything out, and how he mustn't let her get far. Narcissa watched with wide eyes as he just Apparated away, as if nothing had happened. But, not before he shot a chilling glance Val's way. They stood there in silence for a moment, just staring at all the blood and death. Suddenly, Narcissa cleared her throat.

"We... we need to clean." She whispered.

"Someone will handle it." Lucius cooed to her softly, taking his turn to be the one to hold up the weight in their relationship. He placed his hands gently on her shoulders, turning and pushing her away from the room. Draco did the same. As soon as they were inside, she looked at him quickly.