Chapter Twenty Six

»»———— THE DARK LORD ————««

Val got ready for dinner the next day, alongside Draco. Being here with him in an actual home, sharing a bed and a bathroom, she felt like a married couple. They'd taken a shower together, but it was innocent. They'd both suddenly become more mature over night. But, things were going to be even worse over the summer.

She wore an appropriate and professional outfit, all black of course. It consisted of a black turtleneck, tucked into black, high-waisted pants. She wore a black coat and black, pointed booties. She just styled her hair straight, and had her usual, simple makeup look. Draco wore his usual black suit. He came up behind her as she applied her lip gloss. He pulled her hair back behind her, kissing her neck softly. "You look lovely."

"I tried." She returned. They were both just somber, not wanting this to be happening right now. They were only kids, they shouldn't be asked to do this. This shouldn't be required of them. They shouldn't have a part in of this.

"It's almost time. We mustn't be late." He mumbled against her neck. She knew he was trying to be strong for her. He was supposed to be the man, after all. She didn't want him to hold the weight of that responsibility, but she honestly needed it right now. It made her feel better, it made her feel safe. He made her feel safe. She trusted him with the task of carrying both her heart and his.

They headed downstairs, taking a seat at the, now, long dining table. Others were there, of course not wanting to be late to the designated time the Dark Lord had set. Blaise was there with his parents, along with Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle. They didn't really say anything to each other, though. They only glanced. It hadn't even really hit Val completely that she was about to be sitting at the same table as Voldemort, the vile dark wizard that had taken so, so many lives.

Narcissa greeted them, telling them they looked nice before they took a seat next to her and Lucius. The seat at the head of the table was for Voldemort. There was an empty seat next to him, to which she presumed was for her father. Maybe, instead of telling him she wanted nothing to do with him, if she'd just spoken to him, she wouldn't be here right now. But, it didn't matter. What's done has been done, and she had to accept that. She never dwelled on the past, or the what if's. She was here, and she just had to get through it. It was always going to be inevitable anyways.

The other Death Eaters were happy and talking amongst each other. There was no doubt they were terrified of the Dark Lord, though. Even if they did appear joyous and excited to be in his presence soon. Lucius, Narcissa, Draco, and Val were silent, though. Val couldn't help but eye the others. They were dark, estranged people. She didn't like them one bit. She could feel the madness radiating off of them. She knew she didn't fit in here. She hated to say that the Malfoys almost seemed like they did, with the way they dressed. Lucius wasn't a very kind person, either. Draco, though, he had a heart the size of the sun. He was good, and she would always believe that.