Chapter Thirty One

»»———— THE PURPOSE ————««

The meeting was long and boring. Val sat next to her father instead of next to Draco. He stared at her the whole time, but she did everything to avoid his gaze. She just tried to focus on what Voldemort was saying, honestly, because she would do anything right now to get her mind off everything that was going on with Draco. She was scared, because she knew this was all changing him. She was scared because she didn't want to lose him, not the man she knew. As she sat there and stared upon Voldemort, listening to him talk about his plans, she felt such a hatred for him. This was all his fault. Everything, every source of unhappiness, was traced back to him. It was times like this when she knew she would do whatever it took to make sure he never hurt anyone else.

After the meeting was over, she immediately went straight to Draco's room so she could grab her things and get out of there. He raced after her, standing in the doorway as he watched her grab her bag. She ignored him as she went to the fireplace. "Where are you going?"

She paused in her movement, just before she grabbed a handful of Floo powder. His voice sounded so desperate, so soft, so sorrowful. "Home."

He swallowed hard. "I thought you were going to stay the night?"

"I don't want to stay." She admitted, and he chewed his lip at that.

"Val, please, wait." He begged. She just stood there, holding the jar of Floo powder as her hand hovered over it. She wasn't going to let herself be treated like this. And if she left, maybe that would really put it into his head. But, hearing his voice, it broke her heart. Because she loved him. "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry for the way I've been treating you. You're right, I've been awful. I haven't been treating you how you deserve. Will you please stay and we can just talk about it? Please, Val. I need you."

She inhaled sharply before placing the jar of Floo powder back on the mantle. She turned to face him, surprised at his glossy eyes and broken composure. He just started to cry right there, putting his face in his hands. She pursed her lips as it hurt her to see. She sat her things down before walking over to him. For a second, she didn't really know what to do. She'd never seen him like this before. The sounds of his sobs filled her ears, and it absolutely destroyed her. This was worse on him than she could've ever imagined.

"Draco," She cooed, pulling him over to the sofa and sitting him down. He cried in her arms for a while, and she just held him there. He was breaking down right in front of her. Finally, his sobs died down and he laid his head down in her lap. She began combing her fingers through his hair soothingly as he held onto her legs. She just waited patiently until he was ready to speak. His voice was shaky when he did.

"Things have been really hard here. Now that Dad's gone, I just have so much responsibility. I mean, the Dark Lord is so angry with us. He lashes out at us, and I'm so afraid he's going to hurt Mum. So, I've been trying to be strong for her. I've been trying to do everything I can to make sure he doesn't get angry enough to hurt her. I have to protect her, because I'm the man of the house now, Val. And when I spent that day with Gianni and Dad, they sat me down and talked to me. Dad really talked to me. I mean, he was a father to me. He gave me advice and we just had a normal father son conversation. I thought that this summer we'd finally get to have a real relationship. And now, he's in Azkaban. And I'm so scared and I feel so alone. And I know that's my fault because I didn't talk to you about how I was feeling. You were right. I just had so much on my plate, I was so angry and so frustrated and so stressed. And that caused me to be really irritable. And I know it's not an excuse for how I treated you by any means but I just want you to know I'm really sorry. I had no idea what I was doing, how my actions were making you feel. Please, forgive me, because I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't have you. I need you, I can't do this on my own." He cried. She just listened to him, hearing every word. She understood why he was acting the way he was. And while it hurt, she could forgive him. Because she loved him and she knew he was going through a lot. But she had no idea how hard his father's arrest was hitting him. She also had no idea how badly the Dark Lord was treating them.