Chapter Thirty Eight

»»———— GODRIC'S HOLLOW ————««

As they sat there, they heard clattering. Harry opened the door to reveal Kreacher. He pulled him out by his ear. "You've been spying on us, have you?!"

"Kreacher has been watching." He eyed the five of them suspiciously.

"Maybe he knows where the real locket is." Hermione looked to Lolita.

"Kreacher, have you ever seen this before?" Harry presented the fake locket to him.

"It's Master Regulus' locket." He answered, somewhat scared of them. That made sense, considering in the past, Voldemort abused him heavily. Seeing that locket reminded him of that, of the terrible things Voldemort did to him. That was what made Regulus turn against the Dark Lord in the first place, despite having been a Death Eater since he was sixteen.

"But there were two, weren't there?" Harry asked, making Kreacher give him a dirty look.

"Where's the other one?" Lolita continued. Kreacher whimpered.

"Kreacher doesn't know where the other locket is." He clearly lied.

"I don't believe you." She shook her head.

"Did you ever see it? Was it in this house?" Hermione continued.

"Filthy Mudblood! Death Eaters are coming—!" Kreacher exclaimed as he went to lunge at her. Ron jumped in front of her and went to hit him, but Hermione stopped him. "Traitor Weasley!"

"Kreacher!" Harry scolded him. Kreacher covered his face, bracing for impact as he approached him. But he never hit him like he expected. "Answer her!"

"Yes. It was here, in this house. A most evil object." He finally said.

"How do you mean?" Harry asked.

"Before Master Regulus died, he ordered Kreacher to destroy it, but no matter how hard Kreacher tried, he could not do it." He explained as Harry backed him into a corner.

"Well, where is it now?" Harry continued. "Did someone take it?"

"He came in the night. He took many things, including the locket." He answered, holding his arms around himself protectively.

"Who did? Who was it, Kreacher?"

"Mundungus." He whispered out. "Mundungus Fletcher."

"You must find him. I demand you to." He ordered, and he Apparated away. The Death Eaters continued to search for Harry, him being named by the Ministry as Undesirable No. 1. They stopped the Hogwarts express and checked it, to which Neville stood up to them and told them he wasn't there. Pius, one of the Death Eaters Voldemort was particularly fond of, became the new Minister of Magic. Umbridge stood at his side, revealing her true allegiance all along. She was always evil, worse than they could've imagined. The Wizarding and even the Muggle world became a terrible and dark place with Voldemort reigning over it. There were bands of Snatchers, taking wanted people in return for money.