Chapter Twenty

»»———— SOUND OF YOUR OWN THOUGHTS ————««

Later, no one was excited to attend Defense Against the Dark Arts. Professor Umbridge seemed absolutely dreadful. They all sat at their desks, Val with Lolita, Hermione and Luna in front of them, Harry and Ron next to them, Draco and Goyle next to them, and Dean and Seamus in front of Harry and Ron. Two Gryffindor girls in the front of the classroom enchanted a paper bird to fly around the room.

"Bring it over here! Over here!" Dean called. "Go on, Seamus, get it. Get it!"

Seamus reached up and smacked the bird as hard as he could, but it didn't falter. A Slytherin boy in the back of the class went to hit it as it flew back to him, but it went up to where he couldn't reach it. "Who's that? I don't recognize him."

"That's Jack Salvatore." Lolita answered Val. "Why? Do you think he's cute?"

Jack noticed her staring at him, and he sent her a wink. Val's face instantly turned red as she realized she'd been gazing at him for a little too long. She turned around quickly and faced the front of the room. She could hear him laughing at her. "Only a little."

"Clearly." Lolita snickered. The bird flew down over Harry and Ron, and Crabbe stood up and shot it with a slingshot. Everyone laughed, but the bird still flew. Val's eyes traveled over to where Draco sat, seeing him smiling up at it. His smile was so bright and genuine. It made her wonder if there was even a bad bone in his body. But, she couldn't be fooled. She knew firsthand there was.

As the bird flew over the girls who originally enchanted it, it caught flame and fell as a pile of ash onto their desk. They looked back to see Professor Umbridge walking to the front of the classroom. They all took their seats quickly and went silent. She was wearing her signature fake smile, of course, and another hideously all-pink outfit.

"Good morning, children." She said, raising her wand to write on the chalkboard from where she stood. "Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O-W-Ls. More commonly known as OWLs. Study hard, and you shall be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe." She waved her wand to pass out the books, then. It was entitled Dark Arts Defense: Basics for Beginners. Val was absolutely not a beginner. "Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know, from now on, you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of Defensive Magic." After skimming through the book, Hermione's hand shot up. "Yes?"

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" She asked.

"Using spells?" Umbridge giggled, as if Hermione were crazy for suggesting such a thing. "Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"We're not going to use magic?" Val asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Ah, Miss Snape. I was wondering when I'd meet you." She stepped over to her desk, then paused. "You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way."