Chapter Ten

»»———— THE YULE BALL ————««

Saturday came before they knew it. She was standing in the crowds wearing a black sweatshirt tucked into black jeans with a black leather belt and a black coat. She had a pair of black combat boots on as her shoes. Her Cedric button was clipped onto her coat and she held a large sign that said his name. Around her stood Hermione, Ron, Neville, Luna, Seamus, Dean, Draco, Blaise, Pansy, Lolita, Theodore, Crabbe, Goyle, and Marcus. Fred and George were walking around trying to take bets from people on who would win this trial.

"Your attention, please!" Dumbledore began, applifying his voice with his wand. They all went mostly silent, then. "This is a great day for all of us! Each of the three tasks involves very considerable danger. Please keep your seats at all times. This will minimize any risks you may be exposed to. I'm sure we all wish our champions the greatest of luck!"

Everyone cheered at that. Cedric was going first, and when they heard the sounds of cannon, they all began chanting his name. "Diggory, Diggory, Diggory!"

When he first came out, he searched the crowd to find her. Somehow, out of everyone, he was able to spot her easily. He smiled instantly and felt a million times better. There were moments of nervousness that overwhelmed her as she watched, but he came out successful, collecting the Golden Egg without falling victim to the dragon. She cheered for him loudly when he was successful. The whole tournament was fascinating and exciting to watch. She truly did love Hogwarts.

"Three of our champions have now faced their dragons, and so each one of them will proceed to the next task! And now, our fourth and final contestant!" Harry walked out, then, upon hearing the cannon. People were cheering for him, but not as loudly as they did the other competitors. It made Val feel bad for him. They all went silent as he stood there, a clear look of fear on his face. He looked around and spotted the Golden Egg, glistening in the sunlight. It seemed easy enough to get to, but he knew he couldn't be fooled. He had the worst dragon of them all, the Horntail. As he went to make a break for the egg, it showed itself, narrowly missing him as it went to smash him with his tail. From then on, he seemed to be struggling quite a bit. No matter how you felt about Harry, everyone was distressed for him. Hermione reached over and grabbed Ron's hand nervously, to which he held it tightly in his own. Val couldn't help but wish she was holding Draco's hand. As she looked back at him, even he was chewing his nails nervously over Harry's safety.

He casted a charm to bring his broom to him, remembering what Moody had told him that day after the confrontation with Draco. He couldn't have his broom, but he had his wand. That didn't mean he couldn't cast his broom to him. The dragon seemed to have him cornered, but his broom showed up just on time. Everyone cheered happily for him when he jumped onto it. He flew around, avoiding the dragon. Then, suddenly, it broke free from it's chains. Everyone was alarmed, then. Harry tried to lose it as he flew away, and tried to draw it away from the people. Draco grabbed Val and pulled her back as the dragon flew over them, narrowly missing them with its spiked tail. Everyone began clapping excitedly, then. Val looked over at Draco as he watched the dragon fly away. He was still holding onto her shoulder tightly and protectively. "Thank you."