Chapter Fourteen

»»———— FOR HER OWN GOOD ————««

Val sat in the Great Hall between Draco and Lolita with all the other students and faculty currently inhabiting Hogwarts. There was a deep silence set over them. Things felt weird without him around, without his smiling face. There was a chill that rattled their ribs and spine. An emptiness was left amongst them without his presence. Draco held Val's hand tightly in his own, knowing how this affected her. She was just starting to get over her fear of abandonment, and now she'd lost Cedric. Despite her feelings for Draco, she was always going to care about the boy deeply. She loved him, she'd come to love all her friends. And as she always said, Cedric was the most kind person she'd ever met. He'd deserved the world, and the world deserved many more people like him. If there were more people like him, maybe they'd be okay. But, instead, the world was ridded of him. And that didn't feel right at all. Everyone was devastated over his death.

"Today, we acknowledge... a really terrible loss." Dumbledore stood from his chair. Even he, the wisest wizard of all time, was having a hard time finding the right words to say that would correctly honor Cedric's memory. At the same time, he had to do something that was forbade of him by the Ministry but he felt he owed everyone the truth— especially Cedric's memory. "Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly— a fierce, fierce friend. Now, I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died." He stepped up to his podium, then. "You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered." That sent a pang through everyone's hearts, because of course they didn't want to think of it that way. They didn't want to think about the pain he felt before he died. They just didn't want to think about it at all. Val swallowed hard, trying to remain her composure in front of everyone. She'd cried a million times in Draco's arms. He felt so bad for her, for everyone. They'd sustained an insufferable loss. Nothing would ever be the same after this. "He was murdered by Lord Voldemort himself. The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so, I think, would be an insult to his memory. Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, and reminds us, that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. You remember that, and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true, right to the very end."

"It was beautiful, what he said." Lolita commented quietly as they all walked mostly in silence back to their Common Room. No one really wanted to say anything. They were all affected by this. And, if Dumbledore claims he was killed by Lord Voldemort and he's truly returned, that was even scarier. Some people were choosing not to believe it, but Val knew it was true. People would start to believe when the signs became even more clear. Things were literally never going to be the same. The comfortable life Val was so used to living, even if it became a little different this year due to the addition of her new friends... It was never going to be comfortable again. Because she knew she had a bigger role in all of this. Nothing was ever going to be easy. They were going to struggle with choosing the right path and the easy one. Val wasn't sure if she was strong enough to withstand what lies ahead.