Chapter Two

»»———— HOGWARTS ————««

"Are you ready? Do you have everything?" Severus asked his daughter once more. She nodded exasperatedly, tired of him asking the same question. "Forgive me, I only want to make sure."

"I know." She gave him a small smile. He placed his hands on her shoulders and took her in before pulling her into a tight hug.

"I'm proud of you." He told her.

"Thank you." She said once he let go and she pulled away. He tucked a piece of hair behind her ear before sticking out his arm.

"Well, I suppose it's time to go, then." He offered, and she nodded in agreement. She took his arm, and they Apparated outside of a train station. King's Cross in London. She followed him quickly, wondering why she even had to ride the train there considering he was a professor and he was just going to Apparate to Hogwarts himself. She knew you weren't supposed to Apparate on school grounds, but all the professors always did it anyway. It all seemed kind of silly to her. "I want you to have the full experience." He explained, to which she just shook her head at him. Then walked across platform nine, then he stopped her. He pointed towards the brick wall in between. "Run into it."

"Well, okay..." She mumbled, gripping the trolley that held her trunk and other items. Her familiar, a black, fluffy cat named Hades, sat atop it all. She ran through it all at once, not nervous at all. She ended up on the other side, on a platform that read Nine-and-Three-Quarters. He followed after her, of course going to see his daughter off to Hogwarts for the first time, no matter how late it turned out to be. Every wizarding parent dreamed of and looked forward to this moment.

She took a glance around, seeing all the people. There were hundreds of parents saying goodbye to their children for the year. She was glad she wasn't going to have to do that considering her father would be there with her the entire time. She wouldn't have to miss him, or be completely left alone. She could always come to him when she needed him, which comforted her no matter how independent she was.

There were so many odd familiars, like rats and frogs amongst other things. Severus guided her along to the entrance of the Slytherin train car. "Look at me, Val." He told her, and she did so after wondrously gazing around once more. "Enjoy this. You'll never get this back, and you've been robbed of your first three years. You only have four left. Make the most of it. Promise me that."

"I promise." She mumbled, never seeing him this emotional before as far as she could remember.

"And listen," He paused, inhaling sharply. "I know when your mother left, that hurt you. Even if you don't remember it, even if all you know of her is a name. I know it hurts you still to this day. But you don't have to be scared. Not everyone is going to abandon you like she did. Not everyone is like her. I know it's easier said than done, but please promise me you'll try. That you'll try and get over that part of you that can't trust anyone. That you'll try and make friends here— good friends— that bring out the best in you and care about you and make you happy, Val. Truly happy. I want that for you more than anything. You must do that for me."