Chapter Four

»»———— THE FIRST WELCOMING FEAST ————««

"How does it feel to be in a Hogwarts uniform for the first time?" Blaise asked her once they walked out to the Common Room. He was waiting for them, along with Crabbe, Goyle, Pansy, Theodore, and Marcus. Pansy was wearing much more makeup than before with her hair curled. She was clearly trying to impress Draco, but his eyes were only on Val. And right now, he was angered at the fact that she was walking next to Blaise, and he was coolly talking her up.

"Fine, I suppose. They're itchy, and very warm." She said, and he chuckled at that.

"I would say it gets better, but it doesn't." He shook his head, and she smiled slightly at that. His heart skipped a beat at her smile, surprised at how beautiful it was. This girl was so entrancing, and none of them were entirely sure why.

Val couldn't help but think about what Hermione, Ron, Harry, and the others were going to think when they saw her walk into the Great Hall with a Slytherin uniform on and sitting with Draco and his friends. She tried not to worry about it too hard, though, but that was challenging in itself. She kind of liked them, they gave her a good feeling. She trusted her gut, and that led her to believe they were good people. She almost felt bad about being a Slytherin, but she put it behind her. What's done is done, and she can't change it. She'd just be content with how things ended up.

"Well, here we are." Blaise said as the nine of them walked into the Great Hall together. Everyone was seated, and a group of first years stood in the front of the room with Professor McGonagall. The rest of the professors sat at some tables facing them, behind Dumbledore's podium. "Here, you can sit with me."

"Look, there's Val. She must've gotten sorted into Slytherin." Ron told Harry and Hermione. They glanced over to where he was looking to see her taking her seat with Blaise, and Draco rushing to snag a seat on the other side of her. Pansy sat next to him, clearly not pleased with his eagerness to sit next to her.

"Well, that just sucks. She seemed really nice. I'm sure we'll still have classes together since we're in the same year." Hermione shrugged.

"Well, if she's a Slytherin, isn't she going to be like Draco and the others? Especially if she's hanging around them." Ron pursed his lips nervously, and Hermione shook her head at him.

"We must give her the benefit of the doubt. We should get to know her first before we make any assumptions. Right, Harry?" Hermione glanced over at him, and he nodded. "See."

"I think she looks very nice." Fred and George commented as they looked at each other, grinning mischeviously. Ron rolled his at them, as did Ginny.

"You two are the worst." Ron rubbed his forehead. The two of them laughed in sync before they got quiet when McGonagall began calling students up to the Sorting Hat. They watched as all of them were sorted, hearing a few familiar last names here and there. After that, Dumbledore stepped up to his podium and began to speak.