Chapter Thirty Four

»»———— SECTUMSEMPRA ————««

After Christmas break, and the Weasleys had been attacked, Harry viewed the memory that had been tampered with. He attempted to get it out of Slughorn, but took the wrong approach. When Ron was affected by a well-brewed love potion, he took him to the Professor. That didn't help their relationship. He needed to come up with a new plan. Ron fell victim to a poisoned Mead, to which Harry narrowly saved him using Bezoar. He ended up in the Hospital Wing, where the other Professors realized the Mead was meant as a gift for Dumbledore. Now they knew for sure someone was trying to attack Dumbledore.

Voldemort wasn't entirely happy with Draco, but he was able to suffice considering Draco was making promising progress on the vanishing cabinet. But he wasn't being wary. He made sure to threaten Draco in such detail that he knew Draco would either get the job done or he would die in the process. He'd be happy with either of the outcomes, but he knew Dumbledore would be out of the equation in the end either way.

"I don't know what to try next." Draco sighed.

"What about a bird, or something?" She shrugged. He looked over at her quickly.

"You're brilliant, darling! Brilliant!" He exclaimed, grabbing her up suddenly and swinging her around. She chuckled as she watched him hurry to catch one. Once he did, they went into the Room of Requirement to try it. She sat in a chair she found and watched. He spoke the incantation, and they heard it's chirping silence. He opened the door to see it had disappeared. He shut it, then said the incantation once more. He opened the door again, and Val walked over to see. They both already knew that it wasn't a good sign they didn't hear chirping or fluttering. The bird was revealed to be dead, and Draco swallowed hard at the sight. That meant they still had a lot of work to do before it was ready to be used. At least they still had time before they had to do it, but they knew Voldemort was getting impatient.

Val was sitting in the Great Hall eating a quick lunch when she noticed Katie Bell was back. She seemed okay. Val felt a little guilty about what had happened, but not entirely since it wasn't really her hand. She had no idea that it was eating away at Draco until she saw his face when he walked into the Great Hall and saw her. Harry was talking to her, of course asking if she remembered anything to which she didn't. But Harry knew the truth from eavesdropping on Draco and Severus the night of Slughorn's Christmas party.

Val saw the panicked expression on Draco's face just before he rushed out of the Great Hall. She knew something was wrong, so she jumped up and took off after him. Harry did the same. She followed him into the Prefect's bathroom. He was having a panic attack. Seeing Katie's face, it made everything harder for him. He could've killed her. He never wanted that. He never wanted to hurt anyone. Not her, not Ron, and he definitely didn't want to kill Dumbledore. He was scared, and he didn't know what to do because he had no way out of this.