Chapter Thirty Six

»»———— MANIPULATION ————««

"Is it safe for us here?" Val asked her father.

"Of course it is, this is our home." He replied irritatedly. She chewed her lip slightly. She knew he was on edge, but she didn't know how to get him to talk about it. She didn't want to push him too much, but she couldn't go any longer without the truth.

"Please explain to me... why did you make the Unbreakable Vow? Why did you kill Dumbledore? He was your friend! I thought we were on his side?!" She asked quickly, and he turned to face her all at once. His expression softened when he saw the terror on her face. He may be going through a lot right now, but so was she. And he was her father, he was supposed to be strong for her. He gently sat her down, trying to calm her as best he could.

"Listen closely, darling." He gave her a serious look, and she nodded. "Dumbledore cannot see the future, no. But he is an outstanding wizard who is very adept at reading between the lines, connecting the dots, and manipulating things so that they work out favorably in the end. As you know, I detained the curse in his hand when he destroyed the ring, which was a Horcrux."

"A Horcrux?" She asked.

"Yes. It's a type of dark magic that the Dark Lord has made use of in order to insure his immortality. That's what Horace's memory was about. And now, I presume, Potter and his friends are going to attempt to find them all and destory them." He explained, and she gave him a somewhat hopeful look.

"Does that mean we can defeat Voldemort?"

"We have a good chance." He nodded. "So long as they are successful."

"Do you think they will be?"

"I don't know."

"I believe in them." She nodded. "Go on."

"When I detained the curse, the magic was so dark that I knew he would only have about a year until it overtook him and would inevitably take his life. That also happened to be the same night that I informed him of Draco taking on the task. Dumbledore asked me then and there to be the one to do it, because he didn't want Draco to do it. He also knew he wasn't capable, because Draco truly has a good heart. I agreed, which is why it wasn't hard for me to make the Unbreakable Vow with Narcissa. I didn't want to do it, but I had to. Because he was going to die anyways, and this ensures the Dark Lord's trust in me. Not entirely, but well enough for now. Dumbledore also had me give Harry that textbook, so that he would easily get into Horace's good graces in order to acquire the memory." He explained, and she shook her head with disbelief.

"How does he figure all of this? It's amazing. He's manipulated everything so well." She thought it all through. This was... good. Though, she wished he didn't have to die in the end. It wasn't fair. But, they were going to fight to make it right. "How many Horcruxes are there? What are they?"