f i f t y - t w o ❤️

After a few minutes of being back at Hogwarts, Iris managed to settle her nerves. Once she found a regular pace of breathing again, she made her way towards the Gryffindor common room. It wasn't soon after she had returned that she found Fred sprawled upon that familiar red sofa again. He was shirtless, and only wearing some grey joggers. It was in this moment that Iris realised there was a long scar just underneath his collarbone. 

"Where did you get that?" she asked before she could stop herself. 

"Iris," Fred greeted her immediately, after his eyes had glanced up to meet her gaze, and then followed her line of sight down to the red scar on his chest. "It was a Quidditch injury," he explained nonchalantly. "It doesn't hurt, trust me. And it's still fading. Anyway, if I go and get ready, you should come with me. I want to show you something," he said decisively. 

Iris should have been prepared for Fred's sense of spontaneity by now. 

"Alright," she said, still a little breathless from her previous flight. 

Fred disappeared for several minutes and then returned with a black shirt on and jeans, he wrapped his Gryffindor robes around him for warmth. 

"Ready to go?" he asked Iris, with a genuine glimmer of curiosity in his expression. 

"Sure," Iris said. She was still unsure how she had managed to find her voice amidst all the madness, she was just glad that she had.  

The two of them walked down the hall and out through the main castle entrance. 

Once they were outside, Fred clapped his hands and their brooms were brought to them. 

Both Fred and Iris got onto their brooms and flew off into the night.

 This flight was a lot more peaceful than the previous one had been, Iris considered.

Eventually they landed and Fred released a gentle laugh into the sweet-scented evening air. His smile faded a little, when he looked towards Iris again. 

"Are you alright? You look as though you've seen a ghost," Fred said. 

Iris gave a small shake of her head. 

"I'm fine. Honestly, Fred. I just..." 

"Wait," Fred said and took a step closer to Iris. "You said goodbye to your dad, didn't you?" he asked. 

Iris couldn't lie to him. Besides, his eyes were so warm, so brown underneath the moonlight that she felt compelled to tell him everything. 

"Yeah," Iris admitted, "I did. I had to let him go. I gave him Harry's cloak, so I really hope Harry won't hate me for that-" 

"You had to do what you had to do to free him," Fred said matter-of-factly, as he ran his fingers over the salmon-coloured birthmark on his neck. 

"Exactly," Iris said. Don't cry again, she reminded herself repeatedly. 

Fred just stepped forward and pulled Iris into a hug, then.

Iris felt her eyes grow slightly larger in her surprise, but she soon hugged him back. Her fingers gently traced up and down his spine. 

"I'm glad you told me, Iris. 'Cause I'm here for you. I'm always going to be here for you. You're one of my greatest friends and I will always be here to look out for you because, well, I care about you. Don't ever doubt that for a single moment," he said and Iris could tell by the intensity in his gaze that he was telling the truth. 

Iris was so wrapped up in everything that had happened over the course of the evening that she felt practically lost for words, until Fred spoke again. 

"You're bleeding," he said. 

"What?" Iris asked softly. 

Fred looked towards the cut on Iris' leg that was bleeding. 

Iris swallowed. If there was one thing she absolutely hated, then it was the sight of blood. 

Fred immediately pulled his Gryffindor robes off to wrap around Iris' shoulders. 

It turned out that she was shivering, too. 

He then took his shirt off and used it as a makeshift bandage for Iris' injury. 

"You didn't have to do that...you have a lion tattoo, too?" she asked with astonishment, as her eyes glanced over the artwork. 

Fred looked towards it for a moment and then smiled. 

"Ah, yeah. I got one with George a while ago," he said. 

"I like it," Iris said, as Fred began to lead her over to his broom. 

"Thanks, Iris," Fred said with a genuinely kind smile. 

Iris wanted to tell Fred that she could do this and that she could go home on her broomstick all by herself, but she had a funny feeling that Fred would argue against that. 

"What were you doing, I mean, before you came and joined my bleeding self?" Iris joked, as she wrapped her arms around Fred's waist, once the two of them had got onto his broom. 

"I was doing a little bit of studying by myself in the library, then I went to the common room to relax. Believe me, spending time with you is infinitely better than both of those options," he said. 

Iris didn't need to see his face to know that Fred was smiling, she could simply hear it in his voice. 

She rested her head against his back and inhaled peacefully. Everything felt alright in the world for once because she was with him. When she was with him, she felt okay. She knew she was safe. Iris was convinced that she had never trusted anyone this much in her life before, but it was a good feeling. 

As soon as the two of them had returned to the Gryffindor common room again, Fred was keen to check out Iris' injury. 

"It's fine, Fred, honestly," she said. 

"Let me look at it," Fred said gently, as his fingers grazed the skin of Iris' lower leg. 

Iris tried to pretend that the touches from him didn't make her feel like an electric current was being run through her soul. 

"Alright," she said. Usually she would have put up more of a fight, but not this time. She didn't seem to mind so much, now that she was alone with Fred. This realisation made her smile in peace, but Fred didn't quite catch it. 

"It looks better," Fred said with a warm flicker in his eyes, before he administered a simple healing spell to Iris' injury. "Rest up, Embers," he said. 

"I will," Iris said, with a kind smile. 

"Would you look at that? You can listen to me," Fred teased. 

Iris would allow it, this time at least.