f i f t y ❤️

Iris awoke early the next morning to find the Gryffindor dormitory empty. This was no longer surprising, as she knew how busy her friends could be. Ordinarily enough, Hermione could be found in the library studying, while Ginny was on the Quidditch pitch practicing laps or planning the game strategy. They didn't have long to go before the final game now, but that wasn't all that Iris had on her mind. 

She quickly decided to get ready for the day and then made her way downstairs into the Gryffindor common room, where she found Hermione reading away from the book in her hands. 

"Good morning, Hermione," she said, managing to capture a glimpse of the book in Hermione's hands. It was a textbook for charms, though Iris didn't see how Hermione could gain any more knowledge beyond what she already had. Iris believed that Hermione should really consider going to one of the wizarding universities. She would be able to do incredible things, there, even more incredible than she had been able to do at Hogwarts. 

Hermione looked up to meet Iris' gaze, her fingers still gently caressing the ivory pages of the book in front of her. 

"Morning, Iris," she said with a warm smile. 

"Don't work yourself too hard," Iris said. 

Hermione gave an amused shake of her head. "If I want to become a member of the Ministry of Magic one day, which I do, then I'm going to have to work hard." 

"Oh, that's what I'm thinking about doing," Iris replied. She wasn't too sure, yet. It was either that or she was going to become a professor. 

"Plenty of time to work it out," Hermione said, as she began to sort through the pages of notes in front of her. "As much as everyone tells you there's this massive rush to work out what you want in life, you really ought not to trust that. The only one truly capable of deciding your future is you," she said. 

Iris glanced down upon the burgundy rug of the Gryffindor common room for a couple of moments, before she met Hermione's gaze again. 

"I just want to make my dad proud," she admitted. 

"And I'm sure that you will," Hermione said, with an encouraging smile. "You're a great wizard, Iris. Greater than you think." 

Iris felt her heart warm at the compliment and simply offered Hermione a friendly expression. As Iris looked over the papers again, she realised that they weren't merely study notes. She picked them up and began to scan over them, allowing each word to fill her mind like a drop in the ocean. 

"Wait a second. These aren't just study notes. They're story notes. You've been writing?" Iris asked Hermione. 

Hermione didn't say a word. 

"And you're really good at it, Hermione, might I add," Iris added. 

Hermione couldn't help but smile, this time around. 

"These are incredible...but is this story-" 

"Exactly what it looks like. It's our story. Harry's, Ron's, mine...everyone's. I'm not sure where I'm going with it at the moment, but I suppose I look forward to finding out." 

"You're so creative," Iris said. Her tone was serious, so Hermione couldn't help feeling flattered.

 "I just want to always be there for them. I know it won't be easy, once we leave Hogwarts, but I rely on them as much as they rely on me," Hermione admitted, "They're the greatest friends that I ever could have asked for." 

"And you're the greatest friend I ever could have asked for, Hermione. I feel as though I trust you with anything," Iris admitted, which caused Hermione's smile to grow, as warmth filled her coffee-brown eyes. 

The two of them smiled at one another for a moment, before Harry entered the common room with an expressive grin upon his face. 

"What's on your mind this time, Harry?" Hermione asked him. 

"Just Ginny...I mean what? What I meant to say was that Ginny is doing an excellent job at training up the Quidditch team. I honestly don't believe that I could be any prouder of her," he said. 

The corner of Hermione's lips twitched up at this comment. 

"Of course, we're going to win this game," Iris spoke up, then, "But before I can do that, I really need to go and study." 

Iris hadn't been able to study the previous few evenings, she had been trying to figure out a way to help her dad. 

Sure, McGonagall may have been able to persuade the Ministry and Azkaban to let her father go, but she felt that was incredibly risky. 

Due to this, Iris had come up with her own plan. She was going to need her broom and...

"Do either of you know a way in which I could make myself invisible?" Iris asked then. 

Hermione and Harry instantly looked at one another and then back at Iris. 

"What?" she asked. 

"I thought you'd never ask," Harry said excitedly. 

"Harry-" Hermione started to protest, but Harry ignored her. He was just keen to help his friend. 

Harry went over to a chest in the corner of the common room and pulled out the cloak. The fabled invisibility cloak. 

"I thought that was only a legend..." Iris said, as her eyes widened with surprise. She had done enough reading to recognise one of the Deathly Hallows, of course. "Harry, you don't have to do this-" 

"You want to help your father, don't you?" Harry asked, he continued without waiting for a response from Iris. "I insist that you take it. I wanted to save a family member once and for a brief period, I did. I wish he was still here, now, but I am just glad to know that there's a chance I can save yours. Let me do this for you, Iris, as a friend. Take the cloak. Fly your father far, far away from here. Keep him safe." 

Iris ran a hand through her soft copper-brown waves of hair then. 

"Harry...I don't know what to say," she said. 

"Then don't say anything. Just do this, alright? Save your father. I believe you can do this."