t w e n t y - t h r e e ❤️

The following morning, Iris wandered into the Gryffindor common room to catch up with George. It had been a while since she had last spoken to him. Ultimately, he had been spending most of his time with Estella. The two of them were very good friends and they were going to the dance together, too, so Iris supposed that it only made sense for the two of them to be spending so much time together. 

Besides, if Estella was spending time with George then it meant that Iris had more time with Fred. Iris silently scolded herself for being so selfish, but she couldn't help but smile. 

She really did enjoy spending time with Fred. And aside from that, Fred had consistently supported her when it came to her inventions and potions and spells! He was one of the greatest friends that she ever could have asked for and it meant a lot to Iris to have him around so frequently. She knew that he was going to be far, far busier soon enough, especially when it came to the Triwizard tournament. However Iris was just happy for the moments that she got to spend with him either way. 

Iris swiftly shook the thoughts of Fred out of her mind, as she walked over to George to greet him. She soon found out that George wasn't planning on staying long, though. He had a study date with Estella planned, apparently. So, Iris bid George a fond farewell and told him that she would see him again soon enough. In his absence, Iris planned to get some well-needed rest. The Gryffindor-Hufflepuff Quidditch match had certainly offered a lot of excitement for the week ahead. 

Of course, that wasn't the only subject of conversation at present. 

"Hey, Estella. So, we know that the first task is trolls. I thought you ought to know," George said, with a friendly smile, as he sat down opposite her in the library. 

Estella glanced up from the book that she had been reading to return George's friendly expression. 

"Thank you for letting me know! I sort of had a hunch," she admitted. "Won't this be exciting?" she asked. "And hey..." she continued, as she outstretched her hand towards George, "May the best wizard win." 

George eyed Estella's hand speculatively for a second, before he reached out to shake it. 

"May the best wizard win," he repeated. 

As both wizards proceeded to study with one another, both thought that they were going to win. 

Of course, when it came to the Triwizard tournament, there could only be one winner. 

George would just be happy as long as he and Fred won. However, he would be even happier if he won. He had always had a competitive streak within him. In fact, both brothers did. It was in their very nature to try their best to win. They supposed that those long nights spent in the Gryffindor common room, playing wizard's chess, during their earlier years of Hogwarts probably contributed to this. 

"I'll be the one winning, of course," George said. 

Estella quickly closed her book and stared at George for a moment. 

"I wouldn't be so quick to say that, if I were you. You don't know that you're going to win," she replied. "I could win," she added. 

George's lips curled up at the corner at that statement. 

"Is that right?" George asked. 

"It is right, actually. I'm smarter than people give me credit for," she stated. 

George couldn't exactly argue with that one. He had seen Estella studying frequently enough to know that she was being truthful. 

"And besides, this task is going to be straightforward. I just have to defeat the troll. How hard could it be?" she asked. 

George's lips twitched up at the corner in response to that statement, too. 

"I don't know. Have you fought many trolls?" he teased. 

"Leave it out, George. I know I can win this thing," Estella replied. 

"Yeah. Unless you get eaten by the troll, of course," he said. 

Before she knew it or could even stop herself, Estella started to laugh and George joined her soon after that. 

As the two of them spent time together, it felt as though the moment had extended. Estella liked spending time with George, even if in some ways he should have been an enemy. She could hardly see him as that. He was too kind to be seen as anything other than a dear friend. 

"You can trust me to not let that happen, though. I sort of like having you around," George said, as the two of them stood up from the table that they had previously been studying at. 

It was then that Estella noticed just how much George towered over her. He had broad shoulders, too, from all of his Quidditch playing and Estella found herself wondering, if only for a moment, whether he had muscles, too.  She was really, really glad that he couldn't read her mind. 

"Well, it's good to know that you don't completely and utterly hate my presence," Estella said with a smile that George soon returned. "I trust you, George," she added. 

Although Estella had seen George eating frequently enough, she noticed that he was still fairly slim, save for muscular build, of course. Estella wondered if being a twin gave you superpowers, too, like some crazily fast metabolism. 

"I'm glad you do," he said. 

"You and Fred are so brave. I mean, not to toot my own horn or anything but there definitely aren't many brave enough to risk the Triwizard tournament," Estella commented. 

George grinned at that, forming a dimple in his freckled cheek. 

"Well, what can I say? Fred and I have always been risk takers. That's actually one of the main reasons we've got ourselves into so much trouble over the years," he said. "But that's besides the point. This whole thing is going to be fun! We just have to keep training," he continued with an energetic glimmer in his eyes that Estella could hardly ignore. 

"We'll see, won't we?" Estella replied. 

"We will indeed," said George.