[24] 𝐂𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐥𝐞𝐬

We all want that person who makes us calm in the soul and crazy in the flesh

ARABELLA

The shrill echo of the bell bounced off my white walls and rung in my ears, causing me to stir awake with a yawn. I was exhausted from staying awake all night watching Disney movies, it was 11:30 pm by the time I got to sleep... very late.

I flopped onto my back and stared at the ceiling, barely conscious. What day was it...? Tuesday, which meant 8 hours of classes that I, undoubtedly, no longer look forward to like I did at the start of the semester. Wait...

IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY!!!

I'm finally 17! And with that thought, I shot up from the bed and threw the sheets to the floor. With too much excitement bubbling inside of me, I got tangled in the sheets and face planted the floor and I immediately felt a sharp pain shoot through my chin; where I landed. What a great start to my birthday, I could already feel a bruise forming.

I traced my shaky fingers over the new sore spot and pulled them away and was pleased to see no blood. Yay, sense the sarcasm. Why was I having a bad attitude this morning?

Shaking off all negative thoughts, I stationed my feet onto my soft white carpet and stretched all my bones out like a cat. Once I'd finished rolling my shoulders back, I fixed my bed and heard a ping from my phone.

I picked the rectangular object up and blushed at the Lock Screen photo. It was an image of me and Kade wrapped in a fluffy blanket with his lips planted on my nose, I was smiling up at him with closed eyes. He always manages to capture random photos of me in awkward places and with strange facial expressions, I can't say I don't do the same.

Casting my eyes down a little more, I opened the message and instantly perked up when I saw who it was from.

Kadey🐷💗
Good morning baby, how are you feeling? Excited for school? If I remember correctly, I think it's someone's birthday today but I just can't put my finger on who's...

I giggled at his teasing. He knew very well that it was my birthday and school was starting to take its toll on me.

Me
Good morning, and no, I'm not excited. Especially when there's other things to look forward to instead...

I trailed off, joining in with his playfulness. I waited for a reply as Kade instantly opened the message, but had left me on seen. He never usually takes this long to text back. I started to think he actually forgot it was my birthday and was too busy to talk to me. Great... it's only 7 am and my birthday is already off to a bad start. Am I cursed by the Unicorn gods for disrespecting Peppa and many other cartoon freaks- I mean people?

"Forgive me Mr unicorn, I have bad manners," I chanted looking up at my ceiling and prayed the fluffy rainbow god could hear me. "I will never curse a single cartoon pig or ogre ever again if you-"