ICHI

I woke up as soon as I heard my alarm ring, it was 6 in the morning, and I had to get to work by 8. I am a regular office worker at the Tourism Industry Council of Ylury. I rose from the bed and headed to the Patio for a morning stretch.

After a few stretches, I went to the bathroom and did my routine. I walked towards the walk-in closet and wore an office set of clothes; it was a gray set of trousers and blazer, a white blouse beneath, and white tennis shoes. I just let my dark brown, straight medium hair down and free.

I looked at the mirror to fix my face; I put powder and a little tint on my lip. I did not bother to make it look extravagant. I went to the kitchen, cooked eggs and bacon for breakfast. I headed out to the garage and hopped in my car.

As I was supposed to leave, I realized that I forgot my bag. I went back to the house and grabbed my bag and the files I was supposed to bring, together with my phone. I got back outside and glanced back at my house. It was the only thing my parents left, besides having the sector title of Middle-Born. It was beautiful enough for a Middle-Born family.

I live in a village that houses Middle-Borns, it is situated near the center of Ylury. It is a 20-minute drive to the Tourism Industry Council. It is also near to local establishments. I hopped inside the car again, drove to a coffee shop, ordered a Nitro Cold Brew. After paying, I headed off to work. I took a deep breath before going outside. I will be surrounded again by people; I feel uncomfortable.

I went inside the building; I headed to the elevator to notice it was cramped up. I check my watch, quarter to 8. Our office is on the 4th floor. As I looked at the elevator is full, Aia, who is my closest friend and the person who got me into Tourism, called me.

"Kerstein, there's still space here, join in." She offered; I heard people whispering and talking about how stuffy and full the elevator was. She rolled her eyes. "Excuse me, people." She said, irritated. The people in the elevator crunched back to make Aia go outside. After getting off, the elevator went up.

"I told you to come inside if we are late just for a second Attorney Laura Edwards would be angry." She complained, rolling her eyes again as she mentioned the Attorney's name. Almost every regular office worker here treats Attorney Laura as a Mad Dog, for she freaks out in everything that people do. "Shh! Don't speak ill of her, she might hear you, Aia." I calmed her.

"Whatever, she's just the Director of Special Concerns yet she thinks she's the right hand of the emperor." She once again uttered. She pressed the elevator button, after a minute or two, an elevator that was free of people appeared. We went inside. "I heard that the House Of Lord's has something going on today, the Head Executive Assistant has been going in and out of the Office lately." I frowned.

"What's going on?" I asked. "The rumor I heard was up until there, no one discussed it furthermore." I sighed. "I warned you before to never tell me rumors with incomplete details, it's frustrating, curiosity kills me." I groaned.

With a ting, we were on the 4th floor. As we got out, we saw everyone gathered, with Attorney Laura in front. We approached the pack quietly. "You both, don't expect me to not notice you! Why are you late? I told everyone to gather at 8 o'clock sharp this morning! Don't you know how to read a clock?!" She eyed us up and down and made us feel small by humiliating us to the public. "We're sorry, Attorney-"

Aia interrupted me by gripping my arm; she took her breath then spoke. I sense trouble. "Attorney Laura! Do you think we would bother to go here every day just to listen to your sermons? For your information, do you think you are perfect? For you to correct every single mistake, you must be the empress of this empire!" She announced; I heard gasps all around. "Much more, are you being over the top these days, you have gone mad truly, every single employee here does their best to make effort in making time for this. Do you think you're the only one who's busy? For example, Bradley there has to do the report that was tasked to you by the Head Executive, yet you let others do your work, and you who thinks she's pretty sitting like a queen always receives applause."

Everyone got their head lowered down; she exercised her power more than the Head Executive of the Office, everyone felt unfair. "Aia! Do you have a death wish?! Do you want to be fired?!" She yelled at Aia. "No, I don't have any, perhaps you have, maybe you want to explain this later at the House Of Commons." Her eyes suddenly got bigger; she was shocked by the statement.

"W- What do you mean by H- House of Commons?" She stuttered. "If you don't want to be reported better start treating us like proper employees, you're not the boss here, Attorney. Also, remember, you're just a Middle-Born, you're neither a Noble nor a Lady. Stop acting like you're above us just because of your petty position here in the office, which you earned through Kerstein. Ylury proposes a land with freedom without the care of the hierarchical and sectorial means but don't you dare overstep your boundaries."

Everyone whispered by Aia's announcements; I lowered my head as I whispered to her. "Stop this, Aia." I pleaded. "No! I won't stop, I was already in a bad mood because of the scene this morning, but please, Kerstein! Learn to refuse, that's why that woman over there used you." I felt ashamed. It was true that Attorney Laura always had me do all her works up until she was promoted; I just felt like I had to because she is a senior.

"Alright, people. Go back to your station, the show is over, let the fake stay here." At first, everyone hesitated to move, but Aia yelled, "Move!" Everyone went to their desks. I just sighed. In the first place, why did she became my best friend, our personality clashes, for she is an extrovert and me, just plain simple me, I suppose.

She pushed me to my seat. "Just stay there, arguing over this would be useless." She responded as she left on the way to her desk. "Understood,"